Attendance dates:To be confirmed
Time commitment: 12 hours
Our French (Pre-Intermediate) evening language classes are open to adult learners, aged 18 and over, and are taught by skilled and experienced tutors.
Classes are delivered over three terms and you can join at the beginning of each term:
- Autumn term (October – December)
- Winter term (January – March)
- Spring term (April – June).
The winter and spring terms are a continuation of the autumn term. To complete a full level, you would normally attend all three consecutive terms.
Please note, the syllabus may vary according to class progress and availability of materials.
- Express an opinion, motivation and preferences
- Express emotions and difficulties
- Talk about past actions
- Describe an accommodation
- Talk about health issues
- Present perfect tense: j’ai travaillé, je suis allé(e)
- Indirect object pronouns: moi, lui, eux
- Pronoun: Y
- Comparing: plus, moins, autant que
- Imperative: prends, prenons, prenez
- Describe situations in the past
- Ask question about life journey
- Talk about future
- Talk about conditions and consequences
- Imperfect: quand j’étais petit
- Indefinite adjectives and pronouns: chaque, plusieurs
- Personal pronoun: on
- Subordinate clause: quand
- Opposition perfect tense/imperfect: quand je suis arrivée, il téléphonait
- Relative pronouns: qui, que, où
- Etre en train de + infinitif
- Express certainty
- Talk about the weather
- Ask for a favour
- Ask for an authorisation
- Refuse and accept
- Future tense: j’irai
- Si clause + future: si je peux je viendrai
- Modal verbs: vouloir, devoir, pouvoir (want, must, can)
- Prepositions: à Paris, en France
- Interrogative words: quel, pourquoi, où, combien
Version Originale 2: Livre de l'eleve + CD + DVD, Monique Denyer, Agustin Garmendia and Marie-Laure Lions-Olivieri, ISBN: 978-8484435631.
|Autumn||1 - 3|
|Winter||4 - 6|
|Spring||6 - 8|
We do not recommend you buy the course book before starting the course, in case the tutor changes the course book or you need to transfer to a different level. Our tutor will bring copies for the first class and will let you know which course book to purchase.
Classes run 7pm – 8:30pm on Wednesday evenings, with eight classes per term.
Approximately 12 students.
At the end of each term, we will issue you with a certificate of attendance if you have been to a minimum of 75% of your classes.
Facilities and software
You will get access to our library including our language study area, home to language software, satellite TV, a large foreign film collection and books, CDs and DVDs.
If you are one of the first 100 people that sign up to two terms of our evening language classes, you will receive a free code for uTalk, the language-learning app. With this, you will be able to access resources for a language of your choice. If you are eligible, you will receive a unique code from us by email.
All applicants should be aged 18 and over.
|Autumn||No prior knowledge is required.|
|Winter||You should have a basic knowledge of French. You will be expected to have knowledge of the topics and grammar covered in the autumn term of our French (Pre-Intermediate) course.|
|Spring||You should have a basic knowledge of French. You will be expected to have knowledge of the topics and grammar covered in the autumn and winter terms of our French (Pre-Intermediate) course.|
Fees and funding
Price per person:
£150 for one termPublic
£150 for one termCurrent Surrey degree student/staff
£270 for two termsPublic (10% discount)
£255 for two termsCurrent Surrey degree student/staff (15% discount)
£382 for three termsPublic (15% discount)
£360 for three termsCurrent Surrey degree student/staff (20% discount)
Savings apply when you book multiple terms at the same time.
Books: approximately £25 - £40 (for three terms).
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the University's prospective student privacy notice.
- The course is open to adult learners over 18 years of age.
- Payment of fees in full is required before attending the course.
- Discounts are only applied if you book two or three terms for the same class in advance.
- Your email address will be our primary point of contact during your course and important information will be sent to the email address you provided on your booking form.
- Refunds cannot be given for classes you are not able to attend (e.g. due to illness or changes in your work or personal circumstances).
- The availability of classes is subject to demand. If a course has to be cancelled before the start of classes due to low numbers or circumstances beyond our control, you will receive an offer to an alternative course or a full refund.
- If a class has to be cancelled during the term due to unforeseen circumstances, we will endeavour to reschedule it (where possible). Please note, this might not be at the time of your usual class.
- If part of a course has to be cancelled you will receive a proportionate refund.
- There will be no refund if part of a course has to be cancelled for reasons outside our control (such as a fire alert).
You will have 14 days, starting with the day after your booking has been received, during which you may cancel and withdraw without any liability or cancellation costs whatsoever. You will be refunded for any costs already paid unless classes have started, in which case you will receive a pro-rata refund (whether you have attended classes or not). To do so, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outside of this cooling off period, the following applies:
If you enrol for the autumn term for one, two or three terms
Cancellations received by 1 September 2019 23:59 GMT by email are eligible for a refund but incur an admin fee of £29.50. Beyond this time limit no refunds will be granted.
If you enrol for the winter term for one or two terms
Cancellations received by 8 December 2019 23:59 GMT by email are eligible for a refund but incur an admin fee of £29.50. Beyond this time limit no refunds will be granted.
If you enrol for the spring term
Cancellations received by 15 March 2020 23:59 GMT by email are eligible for a refund but incur an admin fee of £29.50. Beyond this time limit no refunds will be granted.
Revised cancellation policy for spring term (April 2020 – June 2020)
You will only be able to join a class once you have paid for the course. However, if you find that online learning is not for you after the first three weeks of teaching (from Monday 27 April 2020 to Thursday 14 May 2020) you will receive a full refund for the Spring Term (April – June 2020) if you let us know no later than Friday 15 May 2020 by email email@example.com.
Please note that there will be no refunds from Monday 18 May 2020 onwards (week 4), including for technical problems such as broadband/connection.
This online prospectus has been prepared and published in advance of the commencement of the course. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content or additional costs) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a course with us. Read more.