Centre for Infrastructure Systems Engineering
Our infrastructure systems engineering covers activities across a wide range of spatial and temporal scales aimed at sustainable infrastructure delivery and management.
Our research encompasses the behaviour of complex structural systems under cyclic, dynamic and extreme loads, the life-cycle characterisation and modelling of damage processes, and the performance management of individual assets and large infrastructure networks. We investigate the enormous potential of digital technologies, including sensing and machine learning algorithms, telecommunication engineering and data science on smart infrastructure and its social, environmental and economic impact on society. Advanced physical testing plays a key part in our research, with tests possible on a wide spectrum of specimens, from single fibres to full-scale bridge sub-assemblies in loading frames ranging from 1N to 1MN.
Our staff and research students bring together core competencies in materials, mechanics and structural engineering, with expertise in statistical methods, informatics and decision theory. We have established collaborations with a variety of industry partners, enabling us to analyse real data from critical infrastructure assets and to influence the development of industry guidelines on design, inspection and maintenance.
- Asset integrity management of transport and water infrastructure networks
- Infrastructure monitoring and data analytics
- Innovative construction materials
- Hybrid and composite construction systems
- Modelling and testing of structures under static/dynamic/fatigue loading
- Risk and resilience of infrastructure assets and networks
- Robustness and progressive collapse of structural systems
- Spatial structures: form development and optimisation
- Urban systems growth modelling and nature-based solutions.
Dr Michael Mulheron
Reader in Construction Materials, Director of Learning and Teaching for Civil and Environmental Engineering
Postgraduate research students
Project: Towards digital twin technologies for structural integrity assessment of offshore wind turbines under long-term vibrations
Project: The analysis of urban growth and surface permeability informed by Earth Observation data
Project: Optimising structural elements containing hybrid fibre-reinforced concrete
Project: Rationalization of lattice spatial structures with emphasizing on minimisation of wasted material