Financial support and guidance

We offer a host of support services available to our students.


You may be eligible for government funded support in the form of benefits and tax credits. Find out more.

Money problems

If you find yourself in financial difficulty whilst studying at university, you can make an appointment to speak with a Student Money Support Adviser. The Adviser will offer you free, independent and impartial advice.

MySurrey Hive

You can meet and speak with student money support advisers in MySurrey Hive. Here, you are also able to make appointments with other support services such as international student advice, accommodation and careers.

Financial hardship

Sometimes you may experience unexpected and unforeseen eventualities which result in financial hardship. The University has funds which all registered students who have exhausted all other sources of funding may apply for when in extreme and unforeseen financial hardship.

Our Student Money Advisers administer these funds which are there to help student in severe and unexpected financial hardship lacking other financial options.

Placement fund

The University has a placement fund to assist students on placements which are unpaid, unsupported, compulsory, and in financially challenging locations. Find out about placement funds.

University of Surrey Students’ Union (USSU)

The student union is a good independent source of information and advice on both representation and welfare. Meet our officers and find out more.

Student communities support

We have a diverse community at Surrey and understand that everyone has different needs and requirements. Find out more about our tailored support.