Working while studying
Most students are able to undertake a small amount of part-time employment during term time to offset day-to-day expenses (subject to visa requirements).
Finding a job
We can help support you find work through our Employability and Careers Centre as well as the Unitemps employment agency.
You can work as many hours as you like, so long as it does not affect your studies.
Here are some example of opportunities available at the University that could fit around your studies:
- Student Ambassadors: represent the University at external and internal recruitment events like campus tours and open days. It’s a lot of fun, you meet new people and it’s a valuable service to prospective students.
- Marketing Ambassador: an opportunity to write blogs, create Instagram content for our @surreystudent account and answer questions from prospective and current students on both Unibuddy and The Student Room.
- TikTok Ambassador: an opportunity to create TikTok content for our University TikTok channel, @uni.surrey.
- Social Media Ambassador: an opportunity to create Instagram content for our @uniofsurrey account
- Students' Union roles: find jobs in retail, administration and bar work, where you’ll have fun and meet loads of people. You’ll get full training and hours that work around your studies.
- Peer Assisted Writing Scheme (PAWS) Mentors: a scheme for final-year and masters students to help students to improve their academic writing.
- Peer Supporters: be a non-judgemental ear, giving listening and support service to all Surrey students.
- University/campus roles: the University frequently advertises jobs via the Unitemps service.
As an international student there are restrictions on the number of hours you are allowed to work, as outlined by the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA):