Emerging electronic devices and circuits
Read about our emerging electronic devices and circuits research.
Multiphysics modelling of semiconductor devices
TCAD modelling of advanced semiconductor devices is a core research area.
Thin-film transistors, photovoltaics and detectros are modelled and optimized using a variety of commercial packages, capturing simultaneously electrical, thermal, mechanical and optical behaviour.
- Bestelink E., Landers T., Sporea R. A. (2019) Turn-off mechanisms in thin-film source-gated transistors with applications to power devices and rectification, Applied Physics Letters 114 (18) pp. 182103-1 AIP Publishing
- Sporea Radu A., Wheeler Luke J., Stolojan Vlad, Silva S. Ravi P. (2018) Towards manufacturing high uniformity polysilicon circuits through TFT contact barrier engineering, Scientific Reports Nature Research
- Sporea RA, Overy M, Shannon JM, Silva SRP. (2015) 'Temperature dependence of the current in Schottky-barrier source-gated transistors'. Journal of Applied Physics, 117 (18).
- Sporea RA, Trainor MJ, Young ND, Shannon JM, Silva SR. (2014) 'Source-gated transistors for order-of-magnitude performance improvements in thin-film digital circuits.'. Sci Rep, England: 4.
We use mixed-mode (TCAD and SPICE) numerical simulations to study the behaviour of electronic circuits which include advanced devices for which compact models have not yet been developed.
- Eva Bestelink, Luca Maiolo, Francesco Maita, S. Ravi P. Silva, Radu A. Sporea, "49dB depletion-load amplifiers with polysilicon source-gated transistors", ESSDERC 2019.
- Sporea RA, Burridge T, Silva SRP. (2015) 'Self-Heating Effects In Polysilicon Source Gated Transistors'. NATURE PUBLISHING GROUP SCIENTIFIC REPORTS, 5 Article number ARTN 14058.
Get in contact
If you're interesting in learning more about our research in this area then please email Dr Radu Sporea.