Our sleep research covers fascinating areas including:
- The regulation of human sleep by circadian rhythmicity (our internal body clock)
- The effects of light on sleep, performance and circadian rhythms
- Ageing, sleep and cognition
- The causes, consequences and treatment of circadian rhythm disorders as experienced by shift workers, transmeridian air travellers, blind people and older people
- The effects of insufficient sleep on cognition, mood and metabolism
- The effects of mistimed sleep and insufficient sleep on patterns of gene expression
- The investigation of new medicines to help you sleep (hypnotics) or to stay awake (wake promoting compounds) as counter measures in insomnia, shift work and jet lag.