We are working hard to reduce the impact our activities have on the environment, economy and community.
We will be synonymous with sustainability literacy, applied best practice, research and leadership.
- Education – we will develop students’ awareness of sustainability through curricular and co-curricular provision.
- Research – we will lead on sustainable research, drawing in private as well as public funding.
- Operations and influence – we will set challenging targets to reduce our environmental impact, and use our influence to help others become more sustainable.
- Students – our students will go on to promote life-long sustainable solutions into all sectors across the world.
Sustainable Development Goals
To reflect our corporate commitment to embedding the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in our operations and education, we have signed the Sustainable Development Goals Accord. This asserts us to align all major efforts with the SDGs by collaborating with key stakeholder groups and other signatory institutions.
In 2021, we were ranked 61st in the Times Higher Education (THE) University Impact Rankings, a global ranking of universities assessing performance against a range of UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The highlight of this year's rankings includes Surrey’s being ranked 4th in SDG8 – Decent Work and Economic Growth. The UN describe the aim of SDG8 as to "promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all".
Other highlights include:
- 33rd for SDG12 – Responsible Consumption and Production
- 36th for SDG6 – Clean Water and Sanitation
- 37th for SDG7 – Affordable and Clean Energy
- 37th for SDG10 – Reduced Inequalities
Find out more about our performance.
Annual Sustainability Report 18/19
It is two years since the University set a strong vision for a sustainable future, to develop students’ awareness of sustainability, to lead on sustainable research and to set challenging targets to reduce its operational impact.
The University’s first Sustainability Annual Report demonstrates our progress in these areas and showcases our achievements during 2018/19.