The University’s Education Strategy 2018-22 reinforces its commitment to ensuring that graduates are aware of the future consequences of their actions on society and are confident in dealing with them.
Education for sustainable development
Education for sustainable development (ESD) ensures our students are equipped with the skills necessary to live sustainably and without compromising the fate of future generations.
Various opportunities to experience education for sustainable development have been integrated within our University:
- The Global Graduate Award in Sustainability is an extracurricular module open to all students free of charge which offers the opportunity to gain an in-depth understanding of a wide range of issues affecting the sustainability of our planet.
- The School of Hospitality and Tourism Management provides training for their students in our Lakeside restaurant, where they learn how to embed sustainability into every aspect of their future profession.
- The Centre for Environment and Sustainability offers continuing professional development (CPD) modules and postgraduate courses in sustainability.
- Various courses offer optional and compulsory modules in sustainability.
Sustainability research opportunities
Opportunities for students to conduct research in this field are varied:
- The Undergraduate Sustainability Research Opportunities Programme allows undergraduates to apply for funding for research on the theme of sustainability.
- Studentships on sustainability issues are offered by various departments.
- Postgraduate courses on sustainability are offered by various departments.
- Dissertations can be conducted in sustainability, depending on the subject of study.