Dedoose is software to facilitate the management and analysis of qualitative data (text, audio/video, images, and survey-type data), providing a range of sophisticated tools for qualitative and mixed-methods analytic approaches.
This one day workshop provides a comprehensive overview of Dedoose and an opportunity for participants to practice tasks using sample data. The focus is on gaining confidence in setting up a project efficiently, managing and organising data, exploring and conceptualising data and interrogating and visualising data.
The course combines discussion, demonstration and hands-on work, including:
- Contextual discussions – developmental, methodological and analytical principles
- Software Overview – interface, architecture, tools
- Analytic Planning – ensuring analytic strategies drive the appropriate use of software tools
- Guided Instruction – step-by-step teaching in the operation of Dedoose and the use of tools for analytic tasks.
- Understand the structure of Dedoose and how it can be used throughout a research project.
- Navigate around the application and operate it to undertake analysis.
- Understand the importance of analytic planning in harnessing Dedoose tools powerfully.
- Set-up a Dedoose project to reflect initial research design and change structures as a research project progresses.
- Identify Dedoose tools that can be used to fulfil specific analytic tasks.
- Know where to access relevant resources to support continued Dedoose use.
- Principles of using Dedoose
- Data preparation, import and organisation
- Data exploration and familiarisation
- Coding strategies
- Use of writing and visualisation tools to reflect on data and processes
- Querying and outputting.
Learning and teaching methods
Maximum of 12 people per class.
You are required to read the Dedoose review (PDF) before attending this course.
There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
This course assumes participants have a broad understanding of qualitative and/or mixed methods methodologies, but assumes no prior knowledge about Dedoose.
Fees and funding
Prices per person:
£168Government and commercial sector applicants
£120Education and charitable sector applicants
We are currently running discounts on our courses in order to support researchers during this difficult time.
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the University's prospective student privacy notice.
Further details of our terms and conditions will follow.
This online prospectus has been prepared and published in advance of the commencement of the course. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content or additional costs) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a course with us. Read more.