NVivo Advanced Support workshop (Online)
This workshop is flexibly structured to discuss common challenges of working with NVivo and aims to enable participants to move on with their analysis. It is designed for researchers who have previously attended an introductory training workshop in NVivo and/or who have been using the software for a real project for some time. Participants using the Mac or Windows version of NVivo 11, 12 or R1 can attend this workshop.
The day comprises discussion, demonstration and hands-on sessions and combines group and individual work. We refresh straightforward uses of software tools and cover more sophisticated uses of tools as required.
Participants work with their own NVivo projects during the day and there are opportunities for to discuss work with one another and the Tutor.
Participants are asked ahead of time for information about their progress with NVivo and the aspects for which they require support such that the workshop can be tailored specifically to the needs of those attending. The workshop is accompanied by relevant documentation.
The course combines discussion, demonstration and hands-on work, including:
- Analytic planning – ensuring analytic strategies drive the appropriate use of software tools
- Guided instruction – step-by-step teaching in the operation of NVivo and the use of tools for analytic tasks
- Small group discussions and individual support – time for participants to discuss their projects.
On successful completion of this course, you will know:
- How to move on beyond initial tasks
- How to use the software to accomplish analytic tasks
- Where to access relevant resources to support continued NVivo use.
- Each workshop is designed around the needs of those attending – identified through a pre-course questionnaire – to ensure the support is tailored
- Common topics include:
- Ensuring classifications are set up efficiently
- Interrogating patterns using query tools
- Visualising and exporting data (using maps, charts, queries).
Intermediate / advanced.
Each participant will have worked with NVivo in different ways and at different levels. However, as this workshop is not a repeat of the Introductory course, we do make some assumptions about your knowledge about and familiarity with NVivo. We expect that everyone attending this workshop has the following experience with the software, as a minimum (most will have done a lot more):
- That you have created a project, used folders to create a basic framework for your project;
- That you are familiar with navigating around the software using the main menu ribbons, the Navigation bar down the left of the screen, and through the right mouse click menus;
- That you have experimented with importing data (although you may have some questions about the specifics of working with certain types of data, e.g. survey data, visual data, etc.);
- That you have done at least some early coding work using Nodes.
If you have not got experience with at least these areas please contact Christina (firstname.lastname@example.org) before the workshop to discuss the appropriateness of your attending at this time.
Fees and funding
Price per person:
£45Education and charitable sector applicants
£55Government and commercial sector applicants
What these fees include
Handouts, slides, links to further resources.
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the University's prospective student privacy notice.
Further details of our terms and conditions will follow.
This online prospectus has been prepared and published in advance of the commencement of the course. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content or additional costs) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a course with us. Read the full disclaimer.