Our Spanish (Advanced) evening language classes are open to adult learners, aged 18 and over, and are taught by skilled and experienced tutors.
From October 2021 to June 2022 classes will be taught online via Zoom.
Classes are delivered over three terms and you can join at the beginning of each term:
- Autumn term (October – December)
- Winter term (January – March)
- Spring term (April – June).
The winter and spring terms are a continuation of the autumn term. To complete a full level, you would normally attend all three consecutive terms.
Nevertheless, you can join the class at the beginning of any term. To ensure that you enrol on the right course if joining us in January or April, please check your language level with our tutors at one of our open evenings.
You will be able to:
- Communicate in everyday situations within Spanish-speaking countries.
- Converse with native speakers using and understanding real-life Spanish.
- Debate, comment, explain, describe and persuade constructing logical arguments on a wide range of issues.
- Express yourselves with more complex and linguistically accurate structures.
Please note, the syllabus may vary according to class progress and availability of materials. Syllabus to be updated.
- Current and social affairs in the Hispanic world
- Voluntary work (NGOs)
- Spanish history (the 60s)
- Short-film analysis
- Mexico and its origins.
- Past tenses (preterit, imperfect, perfect and pluperfect)
- Present subjunctive
- Perfect subjunctive
- Future perfect (“Habrá robado el banco”. Expressing hypothesis)
- Relative clauses (el/la/los/las que, cuyo/a, etc.).
- The Spanish National Health Service
- Sports and healthy lifestyles
- Social Media (las redes sociales)
- Immigration and emigration
- The Arts.
- Imperfect Subjunctive (Si pudiera vivir en otro país…) (Me aconsejó que comiera mejor)
- Subordinate clauses (Me indigna que no podamos trabajar desde casa) (La invité a María para que fuéramos de compras)
- Passive voice (Un cuadro fue vendido en la subasta)
- Passive constructions (“Se pasiva”) (Se han vendido todos los cuadros)
- Phrasal verbs (Verbos de cambio) (llevar + gerundio, “Llevaba 5 años viviendo…”) (echarse + a + infinitivo, “Se echó a reír cuando me vio”) (ponerse + a + infinitivo, “Se puso a estudiar otra carrera”).
- Advertising (Use of photography)
- The Arts (Frida Khalo, Pablo Picasso)
- Popular Festivals. Fiestas populares en el mundo hispano
- Physical and personal description
- Parts of the body
- Uses of verbs “ser” & “estar”
- Colloquial expressions
- Short films (cortometrajes).
- Pluperfect subjunctive (Si hubiera podido habría estudiado otra carrera)
- Conditional perfect
- Reported Speech (reporting statements and orders)
- Expressing comparisons (más + de + relative clause> “Es más interesante de lo que creía”) (tan + adjective + como> “Era tan ingenuo como su padre”).
Aula Internacional 4 B2 ISBN 9788415620853
We do not recommend you buy the course book before starting the course, in case the tutor changes the course book or you need to transfer to a different level. Our tutor will bring copies for the first class and will let you know which course book to purchase.
Classes run 7pm – 8:30pm on Tuesday evenings, with eight classes per term.
Approximately 12 students.
At the end of each term, we will issue you with a certificate of attendance if you have been to a minimum of 75% of your classes.
All applicants should be aged 18 and over.
|Autumn||You should have a good command of Spanish and grammatical structures and/or have recently achieved a Spanish A-Level.|
|Winter||You should have a good command of Spanish and grammatical structures and/or have recently achieved a Spanish A-Level.|
|Spring||You should have a good command of Spanish and grammatical structures and/or have recently achieved a Spanish A-Level.|
Fees and funding
Price per person:
£150 for one termPublic
£150 for one termCurrent Surrey degree student/staff
£270 for two termsPublic (10% discount)
£255 for two termsCurrent Surrey degree student/staff (15% discount)
£382 for three termsPublic (15% discount)
£360 for three termsCurrent Surrey degree student/staff (20% discount)
Savings apply when you book multiple terms at the same time.
Books: approximately £25 - £40 (for three terms).
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the evening language classes privacy notice.
- This online prospectus has been prepared and published in advance of the commencement of the course. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content or additional costs) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a course with us. Read more.