This class takes place on Tuesdays via Zoom
Attendance dates:January 2021: 12, 19, 26
February 2021: 02, 09, 16, 23
March 2021: 02
Time commitment: 12 hours
Our Spanish (Advanced) evening language classes are open to adult learners, aged 18 and over, and are taught by skilled and experienced tutors.
Classes are delivered over three terms and you can join at the beginning of each term:
- Autumn term (October – December)
- Winter term (January – March)
- Spring term (April – June).
The winter and spring terms are a continuation of the autumn term. To complete a full level, you would normally attend all three consecutive terms.
Nevertheless, you can join the class at the beginning of any term. To ensure that you enrol on the right course if joining us in January or April, please check your language level with our tutors at one of our open evenings.
You will be able to:
- Communicate in everyday situations within Spanish-speaking countries.
- Converse with native speakers using and understanding real-life Spanish.
- Debate, comment, explain, describe and persuade constructing logical arguments on a wide range of issues.
- Express yourselves with more complex and linguistically accurate structures.
Please note, the syllabus may vary according to class progress and availability of materials. Syllabus to be updated.
- Current and social affairs in the Hispanic world
- Voluntary work (NGOs)
- Spanish history (the 60s)
- Short-film analysis
- Mexico and its origins.
- Past tenses (preterit, imperfect, perfect and pluperfect)
- Present subjunctive
- Perfect subjunctive
- Future perfect (“Habrá robado el banco”. Expressing hypothesis)
- Relative clauses (el/la/los/las que, cuyo/a, etc.).
- The Spanish National Health Service
- Sports and healthy lifestyles
- Social Media (las redes sociales)
- Immigration and emigration
- The Arts.
- Imperfect Subjunctive (Si pudiera vivir en otro país…) (Me aconsejó que comiera mejor)
- Subordinate clauses (Me indigna que no podamos trabajar desde casa) (La invité a María para que fuéramos de compras)
- Passive voice (Un cuadro fue vendido en la subasta)
- Passive constructions (“Se pasiva”) (Se han vendido todos los cuadros)
- Phrasal verbs (Verbos de cambio) (llevar + gerundio, “Llevaba 5 años viviendo…”) (echarse + a + infinitivo, “Se echó a reír cuando me vio”) (ponerse + a + infinitivo, “Se puso a estudiar otra carrera”).
- Advertising (Use of photography)
- The Arts (Frida Khalo, Pablo Picasso)
- Popular Festivals. Fiestas populares en el mundo hispano
- Physical and personal description
- Parts of the body
- Uses of verbs “ser” & “estar”
- Colloquial expressions
- Short films (cortometrajes).
- Pluperfect subjunctive (Si hubiera podido habría estudiado otra carrera)
- Conditional perfect
- Reported Speech (reporting statements and orders)
- Expressing comparisons (más + de + relative clause> “Es más interesante de lo que creía”) (tan + adjective + como> “Era tan ingenuo como su padre”).
Nuevo Prisma B2. Editorial Edinumen, ISBN: 9788498486407.
We do not recommend you buy the course book before starting the course, in case the tutor changes the course book or you need to transfer to a different level. Our tutor will bring copies for the first class and will let you know which course book to purchase.
Classes run 7pm – 8:30pm on Tuesday evenings, with eight classes per term.
Approximately 12 students.
At the end of each term, we will issue you with a certificate of attendance if you have been to a minimum of 75% of your classes.
Facilities and software
Access to Language Study Area
All Evening Language students have access to our Language Study Area, which is based in the Library & Learning Centre on campus. However, due to the current global pandemic, we have made a few changes to access. The most important change is that all visitors to the Library have to book in advance in order to enter the Library & Learning Centre. The method you use to make a booking will depend on whether you are already a current member of staff/student or not.
If you are a University of Surrey student or staff member
If you work for the University or are currently studying a degree course with us and have a University of Surrey username and password you can find relevant information here:
- Accessing Library Services: You will find useful information about accessing the Library building and the changes we have made on the Library update webpage
- Booking a study space (PC/desk)
- Making an appointment with the Language Study Area team
- You will also have access to our uTalk language learning app through our subscription. For more information, please see the uTalk section on the Language Software pages.
If you are taking an Evening Language Course but you are not a current University of Surrey student/staff member:
- You will still be able to visit the Language Study Area, but you will need to book an appointment through our Language Study Area Booking system
- During your booked visit, you will have access to view the books in the Language Study Area and will be able to use the AV equipment.
- You will not be able to book a desk but you will be allocated one by our Languages helpdesk team when you arrive for your appointment. This will be a desk for use with AV equipment or a desk for viewing books
- Please note, you will not be able to take items out of the library and you will not be able to use the PCs
- If you have booked three terms, you will be eligible to receive a code to 12 months access to one language on the uTalk Language Learning app. If you are eligible, you will receive confirmation and an access code in early November.
For all visitors
- We have several safety measures in place, including social distancing, a screen around the helpdesk, hand gel and wipes available.
- You will be required to follow our facemask policy (PDF)
- You will not be able to enter the Library without a booking
- Please bring your own headphones if required as we have had to remove ours for Health & Safety reasons
- Please wash your hands before and after touching any books or resources
- If you are using a desk, you will be required to wipe it down before and after use.
All applicants should be aged 18 and over.
|Autumn||You should have a good command of Spanish and grammatical structures and/or have recently achieved a Spanish A-Level.|
|Winter||You should have a good command of Spanish and grammatical structures and/or have recently achieved a Spanish A-Level.|
|Spring||You should have a good command of Spanish and grammatical structures and/or have recently achieved a Spanish A-Level.|
Fees and funding
Price per person:
£150 for one termPublic
£150 for one termCurrent Surrey degree student/staff
£270 for two termsPublic (10% discount)
£255 for two termsCurrent Surrey degree student/staff (15% discount)
£382 for three termsPublic (15% discount)
£360 for three termsCurrent Surrey degree student/staff (20% discount)
Savings apply when you book multiple terms at the same time.
Books: approximately £25 - £40 (for three terms).
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the University's prospective student privacy notice.
- The course is open to adult learners over 18 years of age.
- Payment of fees in full is required before attending the course.
- Discounts are only applied if you book two or three terms for the same class in advance.
- Your email address will be our primary point of contact during your course and important information will be sent to the email address you provided on your booking form.
- Refunds cannot be given for classes you are not able to attend (e.g. due to illness or changes in your work or personal circumstances).
- The availability of classes is subject to demand. If a course has to be cancelled before the start of classes due to low numbers or circumstances beyond our control, you will receive an offer to an alternative course or a full refund.
- If a class has to be cancelled during the term due to unforeseen circumstances, we will endeavour to reschedule it (where possible). Please note, this might not be on the day or at the time of your usual class.
- If part of a course has to be cancelled you will receive a proportionate refund.
- There will be no refund if part of a course has to be cancelled for reasons outside our control (force majeure).
- Where access to the online delivery of services is not possible as a result of technical failure on your part or the parts of third-parties commissioned by you to provide access to our services, such as your internet service provider, computer equipment etc., we shall not be deemed liable for the loss of any access to our services.
You will have 14 days, starting with the day after your booking has been received, during which you may cancel and withdraw. You will receive a full refund of course fees paid. To do so, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
All refund applications must be made 14 days before the start date of the course you booked.
If you book 14 days or less before the start of the course, no refund will be payable.
Outside of this cooling off period, the following applies:
If you enrol in the autumn term for one, two or three terms
Cancellations received by 30 August 2020 23:59 GMT by email are eligible for a refund but incur an admin fee of £29.50. Beyond this time limit no refunds will be granted.
If you enrol in the winter term for one or two terms
Cancellations received by 29 November 2020 23:59 GMT by email are eligible for a refund but incur an admin fee of £29.50. Beyond this time limit no refunds will be granted.
If you enrol for the spring term
Cancellations received by 7 March 2021 23:59 GMT by email are eligible for a refund but incur an admin fee of £29.50. Beyond this time limit no refunds will be granted.
This online prospectus has been prepared and published in advance of the commencement of the course. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content or additional costs) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a course with us. Read more.