Satellite Networking Testbed
Comprises state of the art test equipment, modems and antennas integrated with a network simulation capability.
Potential use of the Satellite Networking Testbed:
- Non-linear effects
- Filtering effects
- Modulation and coding
- Noise and propagation effects
End to End Performance
- Protocol testing
- QoS verification
Application testing over satellite
QoS testing of DVB-RCS has been conducted with this facility over Hellasat 2 with the ESA/ESTEC hub. Recently a Ka-Band terminal has been installed to conduct similar tests ove the Eutelsat KaSAT satellite.
Network Security testbed
• Linux based emulator with many of the DVB-S and DVB-RCS satellite network functions including security:
• Unidirectional Link Encapsulation (ULE) security has been realised as defined in the IETF RFC 5458
• A complete multicast security system has been demonstrated over this testbed.
ICS (formerly CCSR) have developed a number of simulation platforms using a mixture of MATLAB, OPNET, ns2 and C++ languages. The platforms have been validated by comparison with theory, measurements or other published data where possible.
- S-UMTS (with WCDMA)
- DVB-S2 –RCS (including physical and system levels)
We also have narrowband and wideband mobile channel models for various environments and non linear models for the satellite amplifier.