Dr Clare Rusbridge graduated from the University of Glasgow in 1991 and following an internship at the University of Pennsylvania and general practice in Cambridgeshire, she completed a BSAVA/Petsavers Residency and was Staff Clinician in Neurology at the Royal Veterinary College. She became a Diplomate of the European College of Veterinary Neurology in 1996 and a RCVS Specialist in 1999. In 2007 she was awarded a PhD from Utrecht University for her thesis on Chiari-like malformation & Syringomyelia. For 16 years she operated a neurology and neurosurgery referral service at the Stone Lion Veterinary Hospital in Wimbledon. In September 2013 Clare joined Fitzpatrick Referrals and the University of Surrey. Her professional interests include epilepsy, neuropathic pain, inherited diseases, and rehabilitation following spinal injury. She treats many animals with painful and/or distressing inherited disease which motivates her research aiming to find a better way of diagnosing, treating and preventing these conditions. She was awarded the J. A. Wright (a.k.a. James Herriot) Memorial Award by The Blue Cross Animal Welfare Charity in 2011 for her work with syringomyelia, in 2014 she received the FECVA award for best original paper also on syringomyelia and in 2016 she was made a Fellow of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons for meritorious contribution to knowledge. Clare is has authored or co-authored over 90 scientific articles and book chapters including being co-editor for a medical textbook on Syringomyelia published by Springer.
MRI conformational changes and dysmorphia associated with Chiari malformation
Clare provided the first description of this disease in the dog published in 2000 and came to realize quickly that this disorder was more than “cerebellar herniation” and was actually an extremely complex malformation of the skull and cervical vertebrae linked to brachycephalic head and facial characteristics. Understanding the way these conformation changes impact nervous tissue compliance and cerebrospinal fluid channels is key to understanding the pathogenesis of syringomyelia. Clare been primary, co-investigator or supervisor in over 20 projects on the morphometric changes associated with Chiari malformation and its association to syringomyelia. She has a close collaboration with Dr Kevin Wells (Reader in Medical Imaging) and Dr Serge Cirovic (Lecturer in Biomedical Engineering) both of whom are pivotal in helping to find engineering solutions to the clinical problems that she is trying to solve.
Genetics of Chiari malformation and syringomyelia
Since 2005, Clare Rusbridge and collaborator Dr Penny Knowler have had a partnership with Dr Kibar’s group of the University of Montreal with an aim of identifying genetic markers for canine CMSM and to translate the findings into genomic studies on humans. Prior to joining Surrey University they established a large database of DNA linked to MRI findings and over the last decade have refined phenotypical analysis of affected dogs and their diagnostic MRI in parallel with advances in statistical genetic analysis. Recently they identified strong candidate genes for CM in dogs and humans and SM in dogs which can be directly correlated to MRI morphometric traits and clinical findings of neuropathic pain. These findings have impact on understanding of the osseous changes in CM and why some patients are painful. In collaboration with the Medical Imaging Group at the University of Surrey they are now applying a machine learning approach to the significant MRI morphometric traits to establish a simple objective measure that could be applied to future genetic and other studies and develop a medical image analysis software that can be used to screen susceptible breeding dogs and be translated into human studies.
Progressive myoclonic epilepsy (Lafora’s disease)
Clare is the chief veterinary collaborator for an ongoing project on Lafora disease (a polyglucasan storage disease). After identifying this rare progressive myoclonic epilepsy in a canine patient in 2001, Clare established links with Dr. Berge Minassian of the Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto to study the mutation causing the disease. They established a nationwide program of DNA collection from affected dogs and their relatives to conduct a genome scan and characterization of the mutation. The successful outcome was the first description of a mutation causing canine epilepsy and the first example of a tandem repeat expansion outside of humans. This has led to better understanding of the disease in humans. In addition, a test for detection of affected and carrier dogs was established to enable a controlled breeding program in affected dog breeds. In the near future Clare hopes to establish a preventative treatment program that could be translated for human patients
Canine and feline epilepsy
Clare has been a member of the International Veterinary Epilepsy Task Force since its conception in 2013. This team’s mission statement is to suggest consensus statements and provide definitions for canine and feline epilepsy and to advance the field by doing collaborative research and exchanging ideas. Clare led the diagnostic imaging subgroup. So far the IVETF have produced seven consensus statements on the diagnosis, classification, treatment and genetics of canine epilepsy and one investigative study.
Other Professional and Academic Activities
- The Dog Breeding Reform Group. The DBRG promote humane behaviour towards animals by providing and supporting initiatives to improve dog welfare related to: a) genetic and breed related health, breeding, rearing and selling practices; and b) to inform the general public about irresponsible dog breeding in order to make them aware of the potential impact on their dogs' health and welfare. DBRG was the CEVA Charity team of the Year 2018
- The Advisory Council for Welfare Breeding Pedigree Dogs - The role of the Council was to encourage and facilitate significant improvements in the welfare issues associated with dog breeding by providing independent, expert advice to governments and other stakeholders. Clare was appointed to this panel in 2010, from its inception until it retired in 2014.
- Scrutineer British Veterinary Association/Kennel Club CMSM MRI screening scheme - Clare played a pivotal role in establishing this scheme and has been a scruitneer since its inception.
- International Veterinary Epilepsy Task Force- Clare is part of a multicentre task force, firstly to suggest consensus statements and provide definitions for canine and feline epilepsy, and secondly to advance the field by doing collaborative research and exchanging ideas.
- Clare is a member of the British Syringomyelia Group - a group of neurosurgeons involved in the treatment of syringomyelia and has been awarded Honorary Friendship of the Ann Conroy Trust
- Phyllis Croft Foundation for Canine Epilepsy - Clare is the veterinary advisory for this charity.
- Clare is a regular reviewer of scientific articles for BMC Veterinary, Veterinary Comparative Orthopedics and Traumatology, Journal of Small Animal Practice, Veterinary Record, Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound, American Journal of Veterinary Research, Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine and occasionally other journals including Plos One and Nature.
Important clue for understanding phantom scratching in syringomyelia identified in BSAVA PetSavers funded student research project
Contact the press team
Phone: +44 (0)1483 684380 / 688914 / 684378
Out-of-hours: +44 (0)7773 479911
Senate House, University of Surrey
Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH
Courses I teach on
Postgraduate research supervision
Susan Penelope Knowler, University of Surrey - Quantitative analysis of Magnetic resonance imaging in Canine Chiari-like malformation (Co Supervisor with Prof R. La Ragione)
Postgraduate research supervision
Masters of Research (Completed)
Fraye Watson - A Comparison of Brain Volume and Behavioural Changes in Dogs with Idiopathic Epilepsy (co-supervised with Prof H Volk, Royal Veterinary College)
- A genome-wide association study identifies candidate loci associated to syringomyelia secondary to Chiari-like malformation in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Ancot F, Lemay P, Knowler SP, Kennedy K, Griffiths S, Cherubini GB, Sykes J, Mandigers PJJ, Rouleau GA, Rusbridge C, Kibar Z. BMC Genet. 2018 Mar 22;19(1):16. doi: 10.1186/s12863-018-0605-z.
- Nationwide genetic testing towards eliminating Lafora disease from Miniature WirehairedDachshunds in the United Kingdom. Ahonen S, Seath I, Rusbridge C, Holt S, Key G, Wang T, Wang P, Minassian BA. Canine Genet Epidemiol. 2018 Mar 27;5:2. doi: 10.1186/s40575-018-0058-8. eCollection 2018.
- Computer simulation of syringomyelia in dogs. Cirovic S , Lloyd R, Jovanovik J, Volk HA, Rusbridge C. BMC Vet Res. 2018 Mar 9;14(1):82. doi: 10.1186/s12917-018-1410-7.
- Feline hyperaesthesia syndrome with self-trauma to the tail: retrospective study of seven cases and proposal for integrated multidisciplinary diagnostic approach Amengual Batle P, Rusbridge C, Nuttall T, Heath S, Marioni-Henry K. J Feline Med Surg. 2018 Mar 1:1098612X18764246. doi: 10.1177/1098612X18764246. [Epub ahead of print]
- Clinical Application of 3D-CISS MRI Sequences for Diagnosis and Surgical Planning of Spinal Arachnoid Diverticula and Adhesions in Dogs. Tauro A, Jovanovik J, Driver CJ, Rusbridge C. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol. 2018 Feb;31(2):83-94. doi: 10.3415/VCOT-16-12-0169. Epub 2018 Mar 13.
- An aged canid with behavioural deficits exhibits blood and cerebrospinal fluid amyloid beta oligomers Rusbridge, C Salguero, FJ David, MA Faller K, Bras JT, Guerreiro R, Richard-Loendt, AC Grainger, D Head, E Brandner, SGP Summers, Hardy, BJ Tayebi M 2018 Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience 10, 7.
- Evidence of negative affective state in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels with syringomyelia Cockburn A, Smith M, Rusbridge C, Fowler C, Paul ES, Murrell JC, Blackwell, EJ, Casey RA, Whay HR, Mendle M. Applied Animal Behaviour Science https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2017.12.008
- MRI characteristics for "phantom" scratching in canine syringomyelia. Nalborczyk ZR, McFadyen AK, Jovanovik J, Tauro A, Driver CJ, Fitzpatrick N, Knower SP, Rusbridge C.BMC Vet Res. 2017 Nov 16;13(1):340. doi: 10.1186/s12917-017-1258-2.
- Syringomyelia and Craniocervical Junction Abnormalities in Chihuahuas. Kiviranta AM, Rusbridge C, Laitinen-Vapaavuori O, Hielm-Björkman A, Lappalainen AK, Knowler SP, Jokinen TS. J Vet Intern Med. 2017 Nov;31(6):1771-1781. doi: 10.1111/jvim.14826. Epub 2017 Sep 11.PMID:
- Lafora disease in miniature Wirehaired Dachshunds. Swain L, Key G, Tauro A, Ahonen S, Wang P, Ackerley C, Minassian BA, Rusbridge C. PLoS One. 2017 Aug 2;12(8):e0182024. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0182024. eCollection 2017.
- Clinical Features, Imaging Characteristics, and Long-term Outcome of Dogs with Cranial Meningocele or Meningoencephalocele. Lazzerini K, Gutierrez-Quintana R, José-López R, McConnell F, Gonçalves R, McMurrough J, De Decker S, Muir C, Priestnall SL, Mari L, Stabile F, De Risio L, Loeffler C, Tauro A, Rusbridge C, Rodenas S, Añor S, de la Fuente C, Fischer A, Bruehschwein A, Penderis J, Guevar J. J Vet Intern Med. 2017 Mar;31(2):505-512. doi: 10.1111/jvim.14638. Epub 2017 Feb 28.
- Use of Morphometric Mapping to Characterise Symptomatic Chiari-Like Malformation, Secondary Syringomyelia and Associated Brachycephaly in the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Knowler SP, Cross C, Griffiths S, McFadyen AK, Jovanovik J, Tauro A, Kibar Z, Driver CJ, La Ragione RM, Rusbridge C. PLoS One. 2017 Jan 25;12(1):e0170315. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0170315.
- Craniometric Analysis of the Hindbrain and Craniocervical Junction of Chihuahua, Affenpinscher and Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Dogs With and Without Syringomyelia Secondary to Chiari-Like Malformation. Knowler SP, Kiviranta AM, McFadyen AK, Jokinen TS, La Ragione RM, Rusbridge C. PLoS One. 2017 Jan 25;12(1):e0169898. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0169898.
- Interleukin-6 is increased in plasma and cerebrospinal fluid of community-dwelling domestic dogs with acute ischaemic stroke. Gredal H, Thomsen BB, Boza-Serrano A, Garosi L, Rusbridge C, Anthony D, Møller A, Finsen B, Deierborg T, Lambertsen KL, Berendt M. Neuroreport. 2017 Feb 8;28(3):134-140. doi: 10.1097/WNR.0000000000000728.
- NHLRC1 repeat expansion in two beagles with Lafora disease. Hajek I, Kettner F, Simerdova V, Rusbridge C, Wang P, Minassian BA, Palus V. J Small Anim Pract. 2016 Nov;57(11):650-652. doi: 10.1111/jsap.12593.
- Neurological signs in 23 dogs with suspected rostral cerebellar ischaemic stroke. Thomsen B, Garosi L, Skerritt G, Rusbridge C, Sparrow T, Berendt M, Gredal H. Acta Vet Scand. 2016 Jun 7;58(1):40. doi: 10.1186/s13028-016-0219-2.
- Inheritance of Chiari-Like Malformation: Can a Mixed Breeding Reduce the Risk of Syringomyelia? Knowler SP, V/D Berg H, McFadyen A, La Ragione RM, Rusbridge C. PLoS One. 2016 Mar 23;11(3):e0151280. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0151280.
- Prevalence of pancreatic, hepatic and renal microscopic lesions in post-mortem samples from cavalier King Charles spaniels. Kent AC, Constantino-Casas F, Rusbridge C, Corcoran BM, Carter M, Ledger T, Watson PJ. J Small Anim Pract. 2016 Apr;57(4):188-93. doi: 10.1111/jsap.12444. Epub 2016 Feb 26.
- Clinical Features in Border Terrier Dogs with Paroxysmal Involuntary Movements. Marioni‐Henry, K, Rusbridge, C, Volk, H.A. Movement Disorders Clinical Practice 3 (1) 73-79
- International veterinary epilepsy task force recommendations for systematic sampling and processing of brains from epileptic dogs and cats. Matiasek K, Pumarola I Batlle M, Rosati M, Fernández-Flores F, Fischer A, Wagner E, Berendt M, Bhatti SF, De Risio L, Farquhar RG, Long S, Muñana K, Patterson EE, Pakozdy A, Penderis J, Platt S, Podell M, Potschka H, Rusbridge C, Stein VM, Tipold A, Volk HA. BMC Vet Res. 2015 Aug 28;11:216. doi: 10.1186/s12917-015-0467-9.
- International Veterinary Epilepsy Task Force recommendations for a veterinary epilepsy-specific MRI protocol. Rusbridge C, Long S, Jovanovik J, Milne M, Berendt M, Bhatti SF, De Risio L, Farqhuar RG, Fischer A, Matiasek K, Muñana K, Patterson EE, Pakozdy A, Penderis J, Platt S, Podell M, Potschka H, Stein VM, Tipold A, Volk HA. BMC Vet Res. 2015 Aug 28;11:194. doi: 10.1186/s12917-015-0466-x.
- International Veterinary Epilepsy Task Force consensus proposal: medical treatment of canine epilepsy in Europe. Bhatti SF, De Risio L, Muñana K, Penderis J, Stein VM, Tipold A, Berendt M, Farquhar RG, Fischer A, Long S, Löscher W, Mandigers PJ, Matiasek K, Pakozdy A, Patterson EE, Platt S, Podell M, Potschka H, Rusbridge C, Volk HA. BMC Vet Res. 2015 Aug 28;11:176. doi: 10.1186/s12917-015-0464-z.
- International Veterinary Epilepsy Task Force's current understanding of idiopathic epilepsy of genetic or suspected genetic origin in purebred dogs. Hülsmeyer VI, Fischer A, Mandigers PJ, DeRisio L, Berendt M, Rusbridge C, Bhatti SF, Pakozdy A, Patterson EE, Platt S, Packer RM, Volk HA. BMC Vet Res. 2015 Aug 28;11:175. doi: 10.1186/s12917-015-0463-0.
- International veterinary epilepsy task force consensus proposal: diagnostic approach to epilepsy in dogs. De Risio L, Bhatti S, Muñana K, Penderis J, Stein V, Tipold A, Berendt M, Farqhuar R, Fischer A, Long S, Mandigers PJ, Matiasek K, Packer RM, Pakozdy A, Patterson N, Platt S, Podell M, Potschka H, Batlle MP, Rusbridge C, Volk HA. BMC Vet Res. 2015 Aug 28;11:148. doi: 10.1186/s12917-015-0462-1.
- International veterinary epilepsy task force consensus report on epilepsy definition, classification and terminology in companion animals. Berendt M, Farquhar RG, Mandigers PJ, Pakozdy A, Bhatti SF, De Risio L, Fischer A, Long S, Matiasek K, Muñana K, Patterson EE, Penderis J, Platt S, Podell M, Potschka H, Pumarola MB, Rusbridge C, Stein VM, Tipold A, Volk HA. BMC Vet Res. 2015 Aug 28;11:182. doi: 10.1186/s12917-015-0461-2.
- International veterinary epilepsy task force consensus proposal: outcome of therapeutic interventions in canine and feline epilepsy. Potschka H, Fischer A, Löscher W, Patterson N, Bhatti S, Berendt M, De Risio L, Farquhar R, Long S, Mandigers P, Matiasek K, Muñana K, Pakozdy A, Penderis J, Platt S, Podell M, Rusbridge C, Stein V, Tipold A, Volk HA. BMC Vet Res. 2015 Aug 28;11:177. doi: 10.1186/s12917-015-0465-y.
- Comparison of gabapentin versus topiramate on clinically affected dogs with Chiari-like malformation and syringomyelia. Plessas IN, Volk HA, Rusbridge C, Vanhaesebrouck AE, Jeffery ND. Vet Rec. 2015 Sep 19;177(11):288. doi: 10.1136/vr.103234. Epub 2015 Aug 12.
- Clinical features of idiopathic inflammatory polymyopathy in the Hungarian Vizsla. Tauro A, Addicott D, Foale RD, Bowman C, Hahn C, Long S, Massey J, Haley AC, Knowler SP, Day MJ, Kennedy LJ, Rusbridge C. BMC Vet Res. 2015 Apr 21;11:97. doi: 10.1186/s12917-015-0408-7.
- Inter-observer agreement of canine and feline paroxysmal event semiology and classification by veterinary neurology specialists and non-specialists RMA Packer, M Berendt, S Bhatti, M Charalambous, S Cizinauskas, L De Risio, R Farquhar, R Hampel, M Hill, PJJ Mandigers, A Pakozdy, SM Preston, C Rusbridge, VM Stein, FTaylor-Brown, ATipold, HA Volk BMC Veterinary Research 11 (1), 39
- Syringomyelia: determining risk and protective factors in the conformation of the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel dog. Mitchell TJ, Knowler SP, van den Berg H, Sykes J, Rusbridge C. Canine Genetics and Epidemiology 2014;1(9). doi:10.1186/2052-6687-1-9.
- Quantitative Analysis of Chiari-Like Malformation and Syringomyelia in the Griffon Bruxellois Dog SP Knowler, AK McFadyen, C Freeman, M Kent, SR Platt, Z Kibar, C Rusbridge. PloS one 9 (2), e88120
- Quantitative Trait Loci (QTL) Study Identifies Novel Genomic Regions Associated to Chiari-Like Malformation in Griffon Bruxellois Dogs P Lemay, SP Knowler, S Bouasker, Y Nédélec, S Platt, C Freeman, G. Child, L. B Barreiro, G A Rouleau, C Rusbridge, Z Kibar PloS one 9 (4), e89816
- Chiari–like malformation and syringomyelia C Rusbridge European Journal Companion Animal Practice 2014 23, 70-89.
- Chiari- Like Malformation and Syringomyelia in American Brussels Griffon Dogs AC Freeman, SR Platt, M Kent, E Huguet, C Rusbridge, S Holmes Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2014 28 (5), 1551-1559
- Canine idiopathic epilepsy C Rusbridge In Practice 2014 36 (Suppl 1), 17-23
- Topiramate in the management of feline idiopathic ulcerative dermatitis in a two year old cat D Grant, C Rusbridge Veterinary dermatology 25 (3), 226-e60
- An update on the pathogenesis of syringomyelia secondary to Chiari-like malformations in dogs CJ Driver, HA Volk, C Rusbridge, LM Van Ham The Veterinary Journal, 2013 1–9. doi:10.1016/j.tvjl.2013.07.014
- Choosing the right drug 2. Anticonvulsants used for second-line therapy C Rusbridge In Practice 2013 35 (4) 183-189
- Choosing the right drug 1. Anticonvulsants used for first-line therapy C Rusbridge*† In Practice 2013 35 (3), 106-113
- Progression of otitis media with effusion in the Cavalier King Charles spaniel SJ McGuinness, EJ Friend, SP Knowler, ND Jeffery, C Rusbridge Veterinary Record 2013 172 (12), 315-315
- Association of an MHC Class II Haplotype with Increased Risk of Polymyositis in Hungarian Vizsla Dogs J Massey, S Rothwell, C Rusbridge A Tauro, D Addicott, H Chinoy, RG Cooper ...PLOS ONE 2013 8 (2), e56490
- Caudal cranial fossa partitioning in Cavalier King Charles spaniels TA Shaw, IM McGonnell, CJ Driver, C Rusbridge HA Volk Veterinary Record 2013 172 (13), 341-341
- Changes over time in craniocerebral morphology and syringomyelia in cavalier King Charles spaniels with Chiari-like malformation CJ Driver, L De Risio, S Hamilton, C Rusbridge, R Dennis, IM McGonnell, HA Volk BMC veterinary research 2013 8 (1), 1-7
- Long-term outcome of Cavalier King Charles spaniel dogs with clinical signs associated with Chiari-like malformation and syringomyelia. Plessas IN, Rusbridge C, Driver CJ, Chandler KE, Craig A, McGonnell IM, Brodbelt DC, Volk HA. Vet Rec. 2012 Nov 17;171(20):501. doi: 10.1136/vr.100449. Epub 2012 Oct 25.
- Questionnaire-based behaviour analysis of Cavalier King Charles spaniels with neuropathic pain due to Chiari-like malformation and syringomyelia. Rutherford L, Wessmann A, Rusbridge C, McGonnell IM, Abeyesinghe S, Burn C, Volk HA. Vet Journal. 2012 194 (3), 294-298.
- Increase in Cerebellar Volume in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels with Chiari-like Malformation and Its Role in the Development of Syringomyelia. Shaw TA, McGonnell IM, Driver CJ, Rusbridge C, Volk HA. PLoS One. 2012;7(4):e33660. Epub 2012 Apr 10.
- Effectiveness of breeding guidelines for reducing the prevalence of syringomyelia. Knowler SP, McFadyen AK, Rusbridge C. Vet Rec. 2011 Dec 24-31;169(26):681. Epub 2011 Oct 13.
- Distribution of substance P and calcitonin gene-related peptide in the spinal cord of Cavalier King Charles Spaniels affected by symptomatic syringomyelia.Hu HZ, Rusbridge C, Constantino-Casas F, Jeffery N. Res Vet Sci. 2012 93 (1), 318-320
- Brain abscess in seven cats due to a bite wound: MRI findings, surgical management and outcome. Costanzo C, Garosi LS, Glass EN, Rusbridge C, Stalin CE, Volk HA. J Feline Med Surg. 2011 Sep;13(9):672-80.
- Histopathological Investigation of Syringomyelia in the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Hu H. Z, Rusbridge C, Constantino-Casas F, Jeffery ND, J Comp Pathol. 2012 Feb;146(2-3):192-201
- Diagnosis and control of epilepsy in the cat C Rusbridge In Practice 27 (4), 208-214
- Prevalence of asymptomatic syringomyelia in Cavalier King Charles spaniels. Parker JE, Knowler SP, Rusbridge C, Noorman E, Jeffery ND. Veterinary Record. 2011 Jun 25;168(25):667
- Distribution of syringomyelia along the entire spinal cord in clinically affected Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Loderstedt S, Benigni L, Chandler K, Cardwell JM, Rusbridge C Lamb CR, Volk HA. Vet J. 2011 Jan 7
- Myokymia and neuromyotonia in 37 Jack Russell terriers. Bhatti SF, Vanhaesebrouck AE, Van Soens I, Martlé VA, Polis IE, Rusbridge C Van Ham LM. Vet J. 2010 Aug 17.
- Morphometric assessment of cranial volumes in age-matched Cavalier King Charles spaniels with and without syringomyelia. Driver CJ, Rusbridge C, McGonnell IM, Volk HA Vet Rec. 2010 Dec 18;167(25):978-9.
- Feline orofacial pain syndrome (FOPS): a retrospective study of 113 cases Rusbridge C, Heath S, Gunn-Moore DA, Knowler S.P, Johnson N, McFayden A.K, Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery 2010, 12, 498-508.
- Relationship of brain parenchyma within the caudal cranial fossa and ventricle size to syringomyelia in cavalier King Charles spaniels Driver C. J., Rusbridge C., Cross H. R., McGonnell I. Volk H. A. Journal of Small Animal Practice 2010, 51, 382-386.
- Heritability of syringomyelia in Cavalier King Charles spaniels. Lewis T, Rusbridge C, Knowler P, Blott S, Woolliams JA. Vet J. Vet J. 2010 Mar;183(3):345-7
- [Chiari-like malformation--syringomyelia in the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel] Mandigers P, Rusbridge C. Tijdschr Diergeneeskd. 2009 Sep 15;134(18):746-50
- Chiari-like malformation in the Griffon Bruxellois Rusbridge C., Knowler S. P., Pieterse L, McFadyen A. K. Journal of Small Animal Practice 2009 50 (8): 386-393
- Association between cervical and intracranial dimensions and syringomyelia in the cavalier King Charles spaniel Carruthers H., Rusbridge C, Dubé M.-P., Holmes M. Jeffery N. Journal of Small Animal Practice 2009 50 (8): 394-398
- Comparison of cerebral cranium volumes between cavalier King Charles spaniels with Chiari-like malformation, small breed dogs and Labradors Cross H. R., Cappello R., Rusbridge C. Journal of Small Animal Practice 2009 50 (8): 399-405
- Radiographic morphology of the cranial portion of the cervical vertebral column in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and its relationship to syringomyelia. Stalin CE, Rusbridge C, Granger N, Jeffery ND. Am J Vet Res. 2008 Jan;69(1):89-93.
- Chiari-like malformation with syringomyelia in the Cavalier King Charles spaniel: long-term outcome after surgical management Rusbridge C. Vet Surg. 2007 Jul;36(5):396-405.
- Syringomyelia in cavalier King Charles spaniels: the relationship between syrinx dimensions and pain. Rusbridge C, Carruthers H, Dubé MP, Holmes M, Jeffery ND. J Small Anim Pract. 2007 Aug;48(8):432-6. Epub 2007 Jun 30.
- Cerebellar cortical abiotrophy in Lagotto Romagnolo dogs. Jokinen TS, Rusbridge C, Steffen F, Viitmaa R, Syrjä P, De Lahunta A, Snellman M, Cizinauskas S. J Small Anim Pract. 2007 Aug;48(8):470-3.
- Report from the Chiari‐Like Malformation and Syringomyelia Working Group Round Table R Cappello, C Rusbridge Veterinary Surgery 36 (5), 509-512
- Rostral cerebellar arterial infarct in two cats. Cherubini GB, Rusbridge C, Singh BP, Schoeniger S, Mahoney P. J Feline Med Surg. 2007 Jun;9(3):246-53. Epub 2007 Feb 20.
- Pathophysiology and treatment of neuropathic pain associated with syringomyelia. Rusbridge C , Jeffery ND. Vet J. 2008 Feb;175(2):164-72. Epub 2007 Feb 20.
- Coexistence of occipital dysplasia and occipital hypoplasia/syringomyelia in the cavalier King Charles spaniel. Rusbridge C, Knowler SP. J Small Anim Pract. 2006 Oct;47(10):603-6.
- Characteristics of magnetic resonance images of granulomatous meningoencephalomyelitis in 11 dogs Cherubini GB, Platt SR, Anderson TJ, Rusbridge C, Lorenzo V, Mantis P, Cappello R. Vet Rec. 2006 Jul 22;159(4):110-5.
- Association of canine hypothyroidism with a common major histocompatibility complex DLA class II allele. Kennedy LJ, Quarmby S, Happ GM, Barnes A, Ramsey IK, Dixon RM, Catchpole B, Rusbridge C, Graham PA, Hillbertz NS, Roethel C, Dodds WJ, Carmichael NG, Ollier WE. Tissue Antigens. 2006 Jul;68(1):82-6.
- Syringomyelia: current concepts in pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment. Rusbridge C, ,Greitz D, Iskandar BJ. J Vet Intern Med. 2006 May-Jun;20(3):469-79
- Inherited myopathy of great Danes. Feliu-Pascual, A Lujan, Shelton GD, Targett MP, Long SN, Comerford EJ, McMillan C, Davies D, Rusbridge C, ,Mellor D, Chang KC, Anderson TJ. J Small Anim Pract. 2006 May;47(5):249-54.
- Neurological diseases of the Cavalier King Charles spaniel Rusbridge C. J Small Anim Pract. 2005 Jun;46(6):265-72.
- Inherited occipital hypoplasia/syringomyelia in the cavalier King Charles spaniel: experiences in setting up a worldwide DNA collection Rusbridge C. Knowler P, Rouleau GA, Minassian BA, Rothuizen J. J Hered. 2005;96(7):745-9. Epub 2005 Jun 15.
- MRI characteristics of suspected acute spinal cord infarction in two cats, and a review of the literature MacKay AD, Rusbridge C, Sparkes AH, Platt SR.. J Feline Med Surg. 2005 Apr;7(2):101-7.
- Expanded repeat in canine epilepsy Lohi H, Young EJ, Fitzmaurice SN, Rusbridge C, Chan EM, Vervoort M, Turnbull J, Zhao XC, Ianzano L, Paterson AD, Sutter NB, Ostrander EA, André C, Shelton GD, Ackerley CA, Scherer SW, Minassian BA.. Science. 2005 Jan 7;307(5706):81.
- Inheritance of occipital bone hypoplasia (Chiari type I malformation) in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Rusbridge C, Knowler SP J Vet Intern Med. 2004 Sep-Oct;18(5):673-8.
- Hereditary aspects of occipital bone hypoplasia and syringomyelia (Chiari type I malformation) in cavalier King Charles spaniels. Rusbridge C, Knowler SP † Vet Rec. 2003 Jul 26;153(4):107-12.
- Dorsal dens angulation and a Chiari type malformation in a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.Bynevelt M, Rusbridge C, Britton J. Vet Radiol Ultrasound. 2000 Nov-Dec;41(6):521-4.
- Syringohydromyelia in Cavalier King Charles spaniels. Rusbridge C, MacSweeny JE, Davies JV, Chandler K, Fitzmaurice SN, Dennis R, Cappello R, Wheeler SJ. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2000 Jan-Feb;36(1):34-41.
- Vertebral plasma cell tumors in 8 dogs. Rusbridge C, Wheeler SJ, Lamb CR, Page RL, Carmichael S, Brearley MJ, Bjornson AP. J Vet Intern Med. 1999 Mar-Apr;13(2):126-33.
- Comparison of two surgical techniques for the management of cervical spondylomyelopathy in dobermanns. Rusbridge C, Wheeler SJ, Torrington AM, Pead MJ, Carmichael S. J Small Anim Pract. 1998 Sep;39(9):425-31.
- Myelin splitting, Schwann cell injury and demyelination in feline diabetic neuropathy. Mizisin AP, Shelton GD, Wagner S, Rusbridge C, Powell HC. ActaNeuropathol. 1998 Feb;95(2):171-4.
- Collection and interpretation of cerebrospinal fluid in cats and dogs C Rusbridge In Practice 19 (6), 322-331
- Treatment of acquired myasthenia gravis associated with thymoma in two dogs. Rusbridge C, White RN, Elwood CM, Wheeler SJ. J Small Anim Pract. 1996 Aug;37(8):376-80.
- Neospora caninum infection in three dogs Knowler C, Wheeler SJ.. J Small Anim Pract. 1995 Apr;36(4):172-7.
- Factor XI deficiency in Kerry Blue Terriers. Knowler C,Giger U, Dodds WJ, Brooks M. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1994 Dec 1;205(11):1557-61.
- Investigations into causes of death of endangered molluscs (Partula species). Cooper JE, Knowler C Vet Rec. 1992 Oct 10;131(15):342-4.
- Snails and snail farming: an introduction for the veterinary profession. Cooper JE, Knowler C. Vet Rec. 1991 Dec 21-28;129(25-26):541-9..
- Tumours in Russian hamsters (Phodopus sungorus) Cooper JE, Knowler C, Pearson AJ. Vet Rec. 1991 Apr 6;128(14):335-6