Dr Geoffrey Knott
Academic and research departmentsResearch and innovation, Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, Student Enterprise, Doctoral College.
- I lead Surrey's new PhD Accelerator programme which supports PhD students to commercialise their research with a view to patent and spinout new companies.
- Also manage the IAA Commercialisation Fellowship (case studies here) and PGR IAA Officers programmes.
- Previously managed Surrey’s MRC Impact Acceleration Account (IAA).
Studied BSc Astrophysics, Aberystwyth Uni (2013), MSc Space Science & Engineering, UCL (2014), then PhD Spacecraft Engineering, Surrey (2018) during which I took my first steps into the world of start-ups and business through Surrey's Student Enterprise. There I learned about the business model canvas, value propositions, pitch practice, etc. which opened my mind to another world of rich experiences and opportunities to deliver a positive impact.
After achieving seed funding from Surrey - following three failed attempts - I set up my first business with a couple of friends (fellow Surrey students), HOP® (2018) which uses edible insects as a sustainable, high-quality, and ethical alternative source of protein in sports nutrition products. I worked on HOP® and established a couple more start-ups during my PostDoc (2018-21) and Covid.
Would like to go to Mars.
University roles and responsibilities
- PhD entrepreneurship and start-ups
- IAA Commercialisation Fellowship
- MRC Impact Acceleration Account