There are a number of ways for students to get involved in sustainability at the University. These opportunities allow students to develop practical knowledge of sustainability, thus gaining valuable life and employment skills.
All our sustainability policies have student engagement as an objective and our students are given the opportunity to help shape the University’s environmental strategy and policy by attending relevant meetings.
The Executive Sustainability Steering Group and its relevant working groups welcome student representatives at all their meetings. The meetings consult on policy, hear progress reports from the Heads of Sustainability and Working Group Chairs and agree the strategic direction of sustainability at Surrey.
VP Community has formal responsibility for sustainability at a student level across the University, consulting on policies and providing representation from the USSU and student societies. Representatives of the University of Surrey Students’ Union also take part in the meetings of the Infrastructure Management Board, which oversees estates, planning, finance and strategic decision making.
Sustainability in the Students' Union
The University of Surrey Students’ Union is committed are taking steps to reduce the impact that their activities, services and products may have on the environment.
To read more about their commitments, campaigns and actions they take to be become more sustainable, please visit this dedicated section on their website.
How students can get involved
- Students can sign up to become Sustainability Ambassadors to act as a powerful voice for sustainable living at the University. The Ambassadors’ role involves communicating sustainability messages, assist in running projects and engaging fellow students.
- Students living in halls of residence can take part in Reduce the Juice, an engagement campaign aimed to promote sustainable behaviour and educate students regarding waste, water and energy.
- Climate Week is an annual event organised by the University of Surrey's People and Planet Society in collaboration with various student societies. Events during the week include guest lectures, workshops and film screenings aiming to engage staff and students in sustainability.
- Many societies across campus organise activities related to sustainability. For further information, please visit the Students' Union website.
- The University of Surrey Students' Union (USSU) has a dedicated volunteering platform that can be used to find opportunities related to sustainability. Our students can log their hours and get certificates that can be used in future CVs.
Our Global Graduate Award in Sustainability provides students with an understanding of a wide range of challenges affecting the environmental sustainability of our planet and some of the promising solutions. This free course, open to all Surrey students, is the perfect way to complement your studies, enhance your employability and improve your understanding of the world we live in.
Scholarships and bursaries are available to support postgraduate and undergraduate studies in environment and sustainability.
Sustainability research opportunities
The Undergraduate Sustainability Research Opportunities Programme (USROP) allows undergraduates to apply for funding for research on the theme of sustainability.