Our Institute for Communication Systems and 5G/6G Innovation Centre welcome opportunities for new, challenging research and innovation with partners from all over the world.
We are involved in many international, EU and national research programmes and forge strong partnerships with all types of organisations including leading global telecommunication companies, regional SMEs, research institutes, universities and government bodies. We work with many vertical industries including automotive, manufacturing, gaming and health.
We welcome the opportunity to work with you and your business. Here are some of the ways you can collaborate with us:
We have a longstanding relationship with EPSRC, with a vast portfolio of research grants awarded over the years. Our current EPSRC-funded projects include:
- GHz Bandwidth Sensing from Smart Antennas to Sub-Nyquist Signal Processing (GBSense)
- Next Generation Converged Digital infrastructure (NG-CDI)
- New Air Interface Techniques for Future Massive Machine Communications
- Millimeter-wave Antennas and Components for Future Mobile Broadband Networks (MILLIBAN)
- Stepping towards the industrial 6th Sense
- AI for Key Management and Mitigating Attacks (AIKEMA).
We have been working with the Enterprise M3 partnership since 2015 to provide its EZ3 regional enterprise zones and hubs with a direct link to our state-of-the-art testbed.
We are helping to build economic growth in the Surrey and Hampshire region by enabling small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to test their applications in a real 5G environment, and driving innovation by opening up new business opportunities using 5G technologies.
We have a strong track record of extensive collaboration with public and private partners across the EU and beyond to deliver various research framework programmes. Our most recent projects include:
In addition to the core programme of research and development which is being progressed with major corporate partners, we connect with high-growth SMEs and start-ups within the wider region. The SME programme involves collaborations with a group of six local enterprise partnerships (LEP) known collectively as the Greater Thames Valley 6 (GTV6). These comprise of:
We are committed to helping the UK government deliver on its investment into 5G and 6G technologies and infrastructure to ensure that the UK is at the forefront of 5G/6G and future systems.
Since 2017 we have participated in the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) 5G Testbeds and Trials Programme, working with academic and commercial partners from all over the UK.
Recent projects we have been involved in include:
- 5GUK Test Networks – the world’s first end-to-end 5G network
- 5G RuralFirst – a project aimed at pioneering new approaches to the deployment of connectivity in rural areas
- Worcestershire 5G Consortium – a government-backed industrial 5G testbed trial programme pioneering the concept of ‘Industry 4.0’
- AutoAir – a project aimed at making 5G technologies available for the validation and development of Connected and Autonomous Vehicles at the vehicle proving ground, Millbrook
- 5G New Thinking – exploring the provision of mobile and wireless connectivity with local communities.
Surrey has worked closely with the world-renowned National Physical Laboratory (NPL) – a global centre of excellence in measurement and materials science – for many years, forming a strategic partnership in 2015. The metrology challenges posed by 5G/6G communications are one of the key areas of research being addressed by the Surrey-NPL partnership.
Founded in 2013, the 5G/6G Innovation Centre (5G/6GIC) brings together leading academics and key industrial partners in a shared vision to help define and develop the 5G and 6G infrastructure that will underpin the way we communicate, work and live our everyday lives.
We are open to collaboration with partners from all over the world and have extensive experience of working with organisations from outside the EU zone in both the public and private sectors. We are particularly keen to collaborate on projects and forge relationships that will help facilitate global standardisation.
We are also willing to provide access to our Campus Testbed for international partners.
Some of the research areas we are currently investigating with our international partners include:
- A smart factory for the fourth industrial revolution in 5G/B5G
- Advanced signal processing for high-dimensional, non-orthogonal signal transmissions
- AI-enabled transceiver architectures and signal processing
- Compressive sensing based signal processing for future wireless communications
- Context-aware multi-dimensional beamforming for individual EMF exposure reduction
- Fast spectrum sharing: A theoretical and practical perspective
- Highly accurate phase and time synchronisation techniques
- New transport-layer intelligence and protocols
- Programmable software defined radio access network for 5G
- TeraHertz communications, waveform and beamforming solutions
- Very large massive MIMO communications
- Very low earth orbit satellite communication: System architecture, system design, transceiver design and integration with 5G and beyond wireless system
- Wireless artificial intelligence.
Get in touch
If you would like to collaborate with us, or have a question, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.