We have identified a set of ‘foundations’, or areas of focus, that encapsulate the sustainability research and activity at the University.
Key focus areas
These reflect key outcomes or objectives for sustainability areas towards which much of the current research is directed and which are shaping future plans.
- Liquid Fuel and Bioenergy Supply from CO2 Reduction; funded by EPSRC - Centre for Environment and Sustainability (CES)
- Integrated Assessment of Palm Oil Mill Residues to Sustainable Electricity (POMR-SE): A case study from Peninsular Malaysia; funded by Majlis Amanah Rakyat (MARA), Malaysia - Centre for Environment and Sustainability (CES)
- Agro Industry and Clean Energy in Africa; funded by UK Research Councils’ Energy Programme, Department for International Development (DfID) and Department for Energy and Climate Change (DECC) - Centre for Environment and Sustainability (CES)
- ISABEL: how to promote local waste treatment, energy generation and food production through biogas systems; funded by European Commission - Sociology
- Water, Energy, Food: Stepping Up; funded by EPSRC - Centre for Environment and Sustainability (CES)
- Synthetic biology for bioenergy and biotechnology; funded by BBSRC - Systems Biology Research Section
- Temperature and alkali stable polymer electrolytes for hydrogen and carbon dioxide alkaline electrolysers; funded by EPSRC - Materials Research Group
- RENESENG: Renewable Systems Engineering Grant; funded by European Commission
- Process & Information Systems Engineering Research Centre (PRISE) - Chemical and Process Engineering
- Novel low energy plasma/catalytic gas cleaning process to deliver high quality syngas from the gasification of waste biomass - Energy and Materials
- Computational modelling and optimisation of carbon capture reactors; funded by Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council - Energy and Materials
- Manufacture of safe and sustainable volatile element functional materials; funded by Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) - Centre for Engineering Materials
- Centre for the Evaluation of Complexity Across the Nexus; funded by ESRC - Sociology
- Out of sight, out of mind: the problem of invisibility for environmental policy; funded by British Academy - Sociology
- Formalisation of artisanal and small-scale mining (ASM) through taxation: the case of Zambia - Business Transformation and Sustainable Enterprise
- SESAME: Development of tools and a regulation framework for the security of the European power grid against natural, accidental and malicious attacks; funded by European Commission - 5G/6G Innovation Centre.
- Decommissioning, Immobilisation and Storage soluTions for NuClear wasTe InVEntories (DESTINCTIVE); funded by University of Leeds - Chemistry
- Towards an online emission inventory for the Middle East area; funded by Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station - Global Centre for Clean Air Research (GCARE)
- Improving the smart control of air pollution in Europe; funded by European Commission - Global Centre for Clean Air Research (GCARE)
- An integrated study of air pollutant sources in the Delhi national capital region; funded by Natural and Environmental Research Council (NERC) - Global Centre for Clean Air Research (GCARE)