Research within CVSSP is structured into six application areas.
- The A-Lab focuses on machine audition, developing audio signal processing technology relating to speech recognition, and blind source separation.
- The B-Lab focuses on biometric and security related technologies, specialising in facial biometrics and lip tracking.
- The C-Lab focuses on cognitive systems, covering a broad range of technologies relating to visual interaction with computers. These include sign language recognition and robotics.
- The M-Lab focuses on medical imaging technologies and collaborates closely with leading healthcare institutions.
- The I-Lab focuses on multimedia communications, including audio-visual coding, broadcast and streaming technologies.
- The V-Lab focuses on video media, specialising in 3D content production, motion analysis, animation, visual search and retrieval technologies.