Professor Sai Gu
Professor Sai Gu joined the University of Surrey as Head of The Department of Chemical and Process Engineering in 2015 after holding various academic posts at Aston University, University of Southampton and Cranfield University. He obtained a PhD in Material Modelling from the University of Nottingham and also did his post-doc research at the University of Cambridge.
Professor Gu has an international reputation for clean energy and material research, currently leading a number of EPSRC-funded projects - worth around £2.5 million - focused on the development of advanced bio-energy and and carbon capture technologies. He has a long track-record of coordinating large collaborative projects with international partners and has successfully won over £10 million in grants from EPSRC, EU, Innovate UK and industry.
Professor Gu leads a large research team with extensive activities in energy conversions, material synthesis, carbon capture and biorefinery.
- (PI) Development of fast pyrolysis based advanced biofuel technologies, EPSRC, 2014-2018
- (PI) Computational Modelling and Optimisation of Carbon Capture Reactors, EPSRC, 2013-2017
- (PI) Combined Energy Recovery & CO2 Removal Project, EPSRC, 2015-2016
- (PI) Collaborative Research in Energy with South Africa:Scale-up modelling to answer "Pyrolysis Challenge", EPSRC, 2009-2013
- (CoI) Improvements in Gas Turbine Performance via Novel Plasma Spray Coatings offering Protection against Ingested Species, EPSRC, 2014-2017
- (CoI) Novel low energy plasma/catalytic gas cleaning process to deliver high quality syngas from the gasification of waste biomass, EPSRC, 2015-2018
- (Coordinator) iComFluid: International Collaboration on Computational Modelling of Fluidised Bed Systems for Clean Energy Technologies, FP7, 2012-2016
- (Coordinator) ECOFUEL: EU-China Cooperation for Liquid Fuels from Biomass Pyrolysis, FP7,2011-2015
- (Coordinator) IPACTS: International Partnership for Advanced Coatings by Thermal Spraying, FP7, 2009-2013
- (Coordinator) SIMUSPRAY: Computational Simulation to Enhance Technology Development of Thermal Spray Coating, FP7, 2008-2012
• V. S. Kiran Kumar Palla, K. Papadikis, S. Gu, Computational modelling of the condensation of fast pyrolysis vapours in a quenching column. Part B: Phase change dynamics and column size effects, Fuel Processing Technology 144(2016) 42-55.• Panneerselvam Ranganathan, Sai Gu, Computational fluid dynamics modelling of biomass fast pyrolysis in fluidised bed reactors, focusing different kinetic schemes, Bioresource Technology, doi:10.1016/j.biortech.2016.02.042.• Ekanem E. Ekanem, Seyed Ali Nabavia, Goran T. Vladisavljević, Sai Gu, Structured Biodegradable Polymeric Microparticles for Drug Delivery Produced Using Flow Focusing Glass Microfluidic Devices, Applied Materials & Interfaces 2015, 7, 23132−23143.• Anjani R.K. Gollakota, Malladi D. Subramanyam, Nanda Kishore and Sai Gu, CFD simulations on the effect of catalysts on the hydrodeoxygenation of bio-oil, RSC Advances, 2015, 5, 41855.• Seyed Ali Nabavia, Goran T. Vladisavljević, Sai Gu, Ekanem E. Ekanem, Dynamics of double emulsion break-up in three phase glass capillary microfluidic devices, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 450 (2015) 279-287.• Seyed Ali Nabavia, Goran T. Vladisavljević, Sai Gu, Ekanem E. Ekanem, Double emulsion production in glass capillary microfluidic device: Parametric investigation of droplet generation behaviour, Chemical Engineering Science 130 (2015) 183-196.• Zihang Zhu, Spyros Kamnis, Sai Gu, Numerical study of molten and semi-molten ceramic impingement by using coupled Eulerian and Lagrangian method, Acta Materialia, 90 (2015) 77-87.• Daniel Sebastia-Saeza, Sai Gu, Panneerselvam Ranganathana, Konstantinos Papadikis, Micro-scale CFD modeling of reactive mass transfer in falling liquid films within structured packing materials, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 33 (2015) 40-50.• Mobolaji B. Shemfe, Sai Gu, Panneerselvam Ranganathan, Techno-economic performance analysis of biofuel production and miniature electric power generation from biomass fast pyrolysis and bio-oil upgrading, Fuel 143 (2015) 361-372.• Ledwoch Katarzyna, Gu Sai, Oinam Avijeet Singh, Non-enclosure methods for non-suspended microalgae cultivation: literature review and research needs, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 42: 1418-1427, 2015• E Gozali, M Mahrukh, S Gu, S Kamnis, Numerical Investigation on Effects of Nanoparticles on Liquid Feedstock Behavior in High Velocity Oxygen Fuel (HVOF) Suspension Spraying. Surface and Coatings Technology, 280 (2015) 370-377.• E Gozali, M Mahrukh, S Gu, S Kamnis, Numerical Analysis of Multicomponent Suspension Droplets in High-Velocity Flame Spray Process. Journal of Thermal Spray Technology 23 (2014) 940-949.• D. Sebastia-Saez, S. Gu, P. Ranganathan, K. Papadikis, Micro-scale CFD study about the influence of operative parameters on physical mass transfer within structured packing elements, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 28: 180-188, 2014.• J.J. Cooke, L.M. Armstrong, K.H. Luo, S. Gu, Adaptive Mesh Refinement of Gas-Liquid Flow on an Inclined Plane, Computers & Chemical Engineering 60(10): 297-306, 2014.• L.M. Armstrong, S. Gu, K.H. Luo, P.Mahanta, Multifluid Modeling of the Desulfurization Process within a Bubbling Fluidized Bed Coal Gasifier, AIChE Journal 59 (6): 1952-1963, 2013.• D. Sebastia-Saez, S. Gu, P. Ranganathan, K. Papadikis, 3D modeling of hydrodynamics and physical mass transfer characteristics of liquid film flows in structured packing elements, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 19: 492-502, 2013.• L.M. Armstrong, S. Gu, K.H. Luo, Dry pressure drop prediction within Montz-Pak B1-250.45 packing with varied inclination angles and geometries, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research 52 (11):4372-4378, 2013.• N.H. Dong, L.M. Armstrong, S. Gu, K.H. Luo, Effect of tube shape on the hydrodynamics and tube-to-bed heat transfer in fluidized beds, Applied Thermal Engineering, 60(1-2): 472-479, 2013.• A Kumar, S Gu, Study of Impingement of Hollow ZrO2 Droplets onto a Substrate, Surface & Coatings Technology, 220(15):164-169, 2013. • A Kumar, S Gu, Modelling impingement of hollow metal droplets onto a flat surface, International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 37: 189-195 (2012). • A Kumar, S Gu and S Kamnis, Simulation of impact of a hollow droplet on a flat surface, Applied Physics A: Materials Science & Processing, 109 (1): 101-109, 2012.• J. Bruchmüller, B.G.M. van Wachem, S. Gu, K.H. Luo, R.C. Brown, Modeling the thermochemical degradation of biomass inside a fast pyrolysis fluidized bed reactor, AIChE Journal, 58 (10): 3030-3042, 2012.• H. Tabbara and S. Gu, A Study of Liquid Droplet Disintegration for the Development of Nanostructured Coatings, AIChE Journal, 58: 3533-3544, 2012.• N. Zeoli, H. Tabbara and S. Gu, Three-dimensional simulation of primary break-up in a close-coupled atomizer, Applied Physics A: Materials Science & Processing, 108(4): 783-792 (2012).• H.Tabbara, S.Gu, Modelling of Impingement Phenomena for Molten Metallic Droplets with Low to High Velocities, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 55 (7-8): 2081-2086 (2012).• H.Tabbara, S.Gu, D.G. McCartney, T.S. Price, P.H. Shipway, Study on process optimisation of cold gas spraying, Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, 20(3) 608-620 (2011).• H.Tabbara, S.Gu, D.G. McCartney, Computational modelling of titanium particles in warm spray, Computers & Fluids, 44(1) 358-368 (2011).• H.Tabbara, S.Gu, Numerical study of semi-molten droplet impingement, Applied Physics A: Materials Science & Processing, 104:1011-1019 (2011).• N. Zeoli, H.Tabbara, S.Gu, CFD modelling of primary breakup during metal powder atomization, Chemical Engineering Science, 66: 6498-6504 (2011).• K. Papadikis, S. Gu, A.V. Bridgwater, Eulerian Model for the Condensation of Pyrolysis Vapors in a Water Condenser, Energy and Fuels, 25 (4) 1859-1868 (2011).• L.M. Armstrong, S. Gu, K.H. Luo, Effects of limestone calcination on the gasification processes in a BFB coal gasifier, Chemical Engineering Journal, 168 (2) 848-860 (2011).• L.M. Armstrong, S. Gu, K.H. Luo, Parametric Study of Gasification Processes in a BFB Coal Gasifier, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 50 (10), 5959-5974 (2011).• J. Bruchmuller, B.G.M. van Wachemc, S. Gu and K.H. Luo, Modelling discrete fragmentation of brittle particles, Powder Technology, 208(3) 731-739 (2011)• Moses Hensley Duku, Sai Gu and Essel Ben Hagan, Biochar production potential in Ghana-A review, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 15: 3539- 3551 (2011).• D.K. Shen, S. Gu, Baosheng Jin, M.X. Fang, Thermal degradation mechanisms of wood under inert and oxidative environments using DAEM methods, Bioresource Technology, 102 2047-2052 (2011).• S. Kamnis, S.Gu and M.Vardavoulias, Numerical study to examine the effect of porosity on in-flight particle dynamics, Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, 20(3) 630-637 (2011).• S.Kamnis, S.Gu and M.Vardavoulias, The influence of powder porosity on the bonding mechanism at the impact of thermally sprayed solid particles, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 41(13) 3517-3524 (2010).• D.K. Shen, S. Gu, A.V. Bridgwater, Study on the pyrolytic behaviour of xylan-based hemicellulose using TG-FTIR and Py-GC-FTIR, Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 87 (2) 199-206 (2010).• D.K. Shen, S. Gu, K.H. Luo, S. Wang, M. Fang, The pyrolytic degradation of wood-derived lignin from pulping process, Bioresource Technology, 101 (2010) 6136-6146.• D.K. Shen, S. Gu, A.V. Bridgwater, The thermal performance of the polysaccharides extracted from hardwood: Cellulose and hemicelluloses, Carbohydrate Polymers, 82 (1): 39-45 (2010).• Moses Hensley Duku, Sai Gu and Essel Ben Hagan, A comprehensive review of biomass resources and biofuels potential in Ghana, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 15 (1): 404-415 (2010).• Nanda Kishore and Sai Gu, Wall Effects on Flow and Drag Phenomena of Spheroid Particles at Moderate Reynolds Numbers, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 49 (19): 9486-9495 (2010).• L.M. Armstrong, K.H. Luo, S. Gu, Two-dimensional and Three-dimensional Computational Studies of Hydrodynamics in the Transition from Bubbling to Circulating Fluidised Bed, Chemical Engineering Journal, 160, 239-248 (2010).• L.M. Armstrong, S. Gu, K.H. Luo, Study of wall-to-bed heat transfer in a bubbling fluidised bed using the kinetic theory of granular flow, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 53, 4949-4959 (2010).• L.M. Armstrong, S. Gu, K.H. Luo, The influence of multiple tubes on the tube-to-bed heat transfer in a fluidised bed, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 36 (11-12) 916-929 (2010).• J Bruchmuller, S Gu, KH Luo and BGM van Wachem, Discrete Element Method for Multiscale Modelling, Journal of Multiscale Modelling 2 (2) 147-162 (2010).• K. Papadikis, A.V. Bridgwater, S. Gu, A CFD approach on the effect of particle size on char entrainment in bubbling fluidised bed reactors, Biomass and Bioenergy, 34(1) 21-29 (2010).• K. Papadikis, S. Gu, A .V. Bridgwater, 3D simulation of the effects of sphericity on char entrainment in fluidised beds, Fuel Processing Technology, 91 (2010) 749-758.• K. Papadikis, S. Gu, A. Fivga, A.V. Bridgwater, Numerical comparison of the drag models of granular flows applied to the fast pyrolysis of biomass, Energy and Fuels, 24 (3), pp 2133-2145 (2010).• K. Papadikis, S. Gu, A.V. Bridgwater, Computational modelling of the impact of particle size to the heat transfer coefficient between biomass particles and a fluidised bed, Fuel Processing Technology, 91(1) 68-79 (2010).• K. Papadikis, S. Gu, A.V. Bridgwater, Geometrical Optimization of a Fast Pyrolysis Bubbling Fluidized Bed Reactor Using Comutational Fluid Dynamics, Energy and Fuels, 24 (10): 5634-5651 (2010).• K. Papadikis, H. Gerhauser, A.V. Bridgwater, S. Gu, CFD modelling of the fast pyrolysis of an in-flight cellulosic particle subjected to convective heat transfer, Biomass and Bioenergy, 33(1), 97-107 (2009).• K. Papadikis, S. Gu, A .V. Bridgwater, CFD modelling of the fast pyrolysis of biomass in fluidised bed reactors. Part B: Heat, momentum and mass transport in bubbling fluidised beds, Chemical Engineering Science, 64, 1036-1045 (2009).• K. Papadikis, S. Gu, A.V. Bridgwater, CFD modelling of the fast pyrolysis of biomass in fluidised bed reactors: Modelling the impact of biomass shrinkage, Chemical Engineering Journal, 149, 417-427 (2009).• K. Papadikis, S. Gu, A.V. Bridgwater, H. Gerhauser, Application of CFD to model fast pyrolysis of biomass, Fuel Processing Technology, 90, 504-512 (2009).• D.K. Shen and S. Gu, The mechanism for thermal decomposition of cellulose and its main products, Bioresource Technology, 100(24): 6496-6504 (2009).• D.K. Shen, S. Gu, K.H. Luo, A.V. Bridgwater, Analysis of wood structural changes under thermal radiation, Energy & Fuels, 23 (2), 1081-1088, (2009).• D.K. Shen, S. Gu, K.H. Luo, A.V. Bridgwater, M.X. Fang, Kinetic study on thermal decomposition of woods in oxidative environment, Fuel, 88(6), 1024-1030 (2009).• S. Kamnis, S. Gu, Study of in-flight and impact dynamics of non-spherical particles from HVOF guns, Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, 19(1-2) 31-41 (2009)• S. Kamnis, S. Gu, T.J. Lu, C. Chen, Numerical Modelling the Bonding Mechanism of HVOF Sprayed Particles, Computational Materials Science, 46, 1038-1043 (2009).• S. Gu, S Kamnis, Bonding mechanism from the impact of thermally sprayed solid particles, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 40(11) 2664-2674 (2009)