Aerospace, mechanical and automotive engineering welcome week privacy notice
The School of Mechanical Engineering Sciences at the University of Surrey is registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office and we are committed to ensuring that the personal data we process is handled in accordance with data protection legislation. We have a named Data Protection Officer, Elizabeth Powis, who can be contacted via email@example.com.
One of our responsibilities is to tell you about the different ways we collect and use your personal data. This statement provides details about these uses. In addition to this statement, you may be given further information about the uses of your personal data when you use certain services offered by the University of Surrey.
As part of the Welcome Week activities, we (the University of Surrey) are offering trips relevant to your course of study. These trips will be free of charge and are hosted by Brooklands Museum and the Farnborough Air Science Trust.
For more information about how the University uses your data as a student, please see our student privacy notice.
We require you to submit your:
- Full name
- Student number
- Email address
- Course that you are enrolled on.
We collect this information so we can send you a sign-up confirmation, verify you are a mechanical engineering sciences undergraduate student with your student number and create sign-in lists for each trip.
We process this data under the lawful basis of our public task to facilitate teaching and learning.
We do not add any other data from our system to these sign-in lists. We will save these lists in a password protected file and will destroy the documents via deleting and/or confidential waste as soon as possible after the visit.
We do not share this information with any third party, other than the Brooklands Museum and Farnborough Air Science Trust when we email the sign-in lists containing the information you provided.
We request that those are to be destroyed as soon as possible after the visit via confidential waste.
As an individual whose data we process (a data subject), you have certain rights in relation to the processing. Find detailed information about your rights as a data subject.
You have the right to:
- Withdraw your consent for us to process your personal data where we have relied on that consent as our basis for processing your data.
- Ask us to confirm that your personal data is being processed and to gain access (i.e. have a copy) of that data as well as to be provided with supplemental information about the processing.
- Request that we rectify any inaccuracies where the data we hold on you is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Have your data erased by us, although in certain circumstances we may not be able to do this. The circumstances where this applies can be found in the guide to data subject rights information.
- Restrict the processing of your personal data in certain ways.
- Obtain your personal data for reuse.
- Object to certain processing of your personal data.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights please visit our make a privacy request section.
Make a complaint
If you have any concerns about the way that we have handled your personal data please email the Data Protection team as we would like to have the opportunity to resolve your concerns.
If you’re still unhappy, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (an independent body set up to advise on information rights for the UK) about the way in which we process your personal data.