Civil and environmental engineering
Civil engineers design, build and maintain the physical world around us. They ensure we’re supplied with electricity, clean water and energy, and keep us moving with roads, bridges and airports. Become a civil engineer and you’ll be advancing and protecting the very fabric of modern society.
- Our BEng and MEng courses are accredited routes to chartered engineer status.
- We have an outstanding record of industry engagement, including a unique scholarship scheme, an acclaimed Professional Training placement programme and superb graduate employability
- We are ranked 13th in the UK for civil engineering in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2024, 14th by the Complete University Guide 2024 and 18th by the Guardian University Guide 2024
- 96 per cent of our undergraduate and postgraduate research students and 93 per cent of our postgraduate taught students go on to employment or further study (Graduate Outcomes survey 2023)
- In the latest UK Research Excellence Framework (REF 2021), we ranked 15th in the UK for ‘*research power’ in engineering.
* Research power is the overall quality of submissions, calculated by grade point average and multiplied by the full-time equivalent number of staff submitted.
From K’Nex to the construction site
Civil engineering student Ben Elphick explains how playing with construction toy K’Nex as a child fuelled his passion for a career in engineering.