Five reasons to study civil engineering at Surrey
What makes our civil engineering degrees different and what’s the secret behind our graduates’ success? Here we reveal five reasons why you should choose the University of Surrey for your civil engineering degree.
1. Surrey civil engineers build a better world
You won’t just study the core topics you need to become a successful civil engineer at Surrey. We're home to internationally-leading research which is changing people's lives around the world, and this work informs our teaching. For example:
- Our research is contributing to international guidelines on water quality for the World Health Organisation
- Our Global Centre for Clean Air Research leads local and international initiatives on improving air quality in and around schools
- Our project on the conversion of waste water into nutrient-rich fertiliser won the UK-Philippines Newton Prize
- In 2021 we brought together international experts for the 7th International Conference on Spatial Structures
2. Fantastic work placement opportunities
Surrey won Best University Careers/Employability Service in the UK in 2022. On our renowned Professional Training placement programme you can gain a year’s valuable work experience with a company such as:
- Bachy Soletanche
- Balfour Beatty
3. Great employment prospects
Our degrees open up a huge range of career opportunities with major engineering consultancies and contractors. We have superb graduate employability with 96 per cent of our undergraduates going on to employment or further study (Graduate Outcomes 2023, HESA)
Recent graduates work for companies such as:
- GDC Partnership
- Lendlease Group
- Mott MacDonald
- Walker Construction
Our courses are fully accredited which means you'll be well on the way towards chartered status after studying at Surrey. (Our MEng courses fully meet the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer while our BEng courses require further study.)
Read about Surrey alumna Irosha Gunatunga's career at BAM Nuttall Ltd.
4. Award-winning maths support
Maths skills are crucial to studying civil engineering at degree level, and at Surrey we help to bridge the gap between school and University. Before you even arrive at the University you’ll be given learning resources and a diagnostic quiz that will help you identify any topic areas you need to work on. Then as a first year student you’ll be invited to attend maths ‘bootcamps’, alongside your modules, where you’ll apply mathematical concepts to solve real-world problems.
Our maths support programme also supports Foundation Year students and recently won a prestigious award.
5. Unique Surrey/ICE scholarship scheme
Supported by the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), our scholarship scheme is the only one of its kind in the UK. Under the scheme, you’ll be matched with a leading civil engineering company, and benefit from £1,950 a year (for 2023 entry) and salaried work throughout your course.
Learn more about our undergraduate courses in civil and environmental engineering.