Intelligent and high-performance networking and service delivery
This research covers the topics of future networking, network management and service delivery technologies in 5G, 5G+ and 6G. These include the development of high performance and flexible networking mechanisms, techniques and protocols, artificial intelligence (AI) driven network and service management, network support for emerging multimedia, extended reality (XR), 'internet of things' and time synchronous applications with quality of service and quality of experience assurances.
We address technical challenges pertaining to future 5G, 5G+ and 6G networking, network control and management, as well as emerging service delivery technologies. In terms of 5G+, our research covers technical challenges related to intelligent control and management of communication/computing resources and services based on 5G-oriented enablers including SDN/NFV, network slicing and edge computing.
Key research topics in this case include:
- 5G network architecture design and innovation
- Networking for 5G and satellite backhaul integration
- AI-driven traffic classification, network slicing and service function chaining
- Edge computing for 4K/8K video, virtual reality/augmented reality, basic holographic telepresence content delivery and 'internet of things' applications
- Network and transport-layer protocol innovations under 5G environment
- Intent-based network and service management and orchestration.
Beyond the 5G paradigm, it is expected that most of the above-mentioned topics will be naturally evolved into the 6G era. Additionally, the research also aims to tackle brand new requirements from both envisaged (e.g. truly-immersive holographic telepresence, XR and high-precision remote collaboration applications with stringent and complex time engineering and synchronisation requirements) and not-yet-envisaged applications, based on which radical network architectures, clean-slate protocols and mechanisms will be explored.
We will also investigate new business models and technologies associated with diverse supply chains in the 6G ecosystem, as well as future borderless network of networks integration across heterogeneous information and communication technology infrastructures and capabilities, including but not limited to:
- Mobile networks
- Satellite networks (with direct satellite-to-user access)
- Fixed internet
- Data centres
- Cloud/edge computing
- Software resources.
Get in contact
If you are interested in this research or have a query then please contact the project lead.