Itziar Castello is Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) at the Department of Digital Economy at Surrey Business School in the UK.
Itziar is an expert on corporate social responsibility and sustainability in digital transitions. Itziar's research and advisory work has informed organisations including GE, IBM, CEMEX, Manpower, Cargill, Telefonica, Novo Nordisk, eBay.
Itziar's research offers insights how entrepreneurs and business intrapreneurs make sense and lead change towards more sustainable business in the digital economy. Specifically, she looks at the communication and governance challenges and opportunities.
Itziar has published in peer-reviewed journals such as Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Management Studies, Research Policy, Journal of Business Ethics, Business & Society, Corporate Governance and Journal of Management Development. She has recently received three research awards (Best OMT Entrepreneurship Paper at the Academy of Management Conference 2015; Shortlisted for the Max Boisot Award at EGOS 2016 and Faculty of 1000 (F1000) as one of the top 2% world papers published in Medicine and Biology during April 2011). Her research also frequently appears in general and management venues such as The Huffington Post and Deusto-Harvard Business Review. She is Associate Editor in Business & Society.
Beyond her academic career, Itziar has been working for the past fifteen years as business advisor in developing integrated business strategies on sustainability issues and digital transitions. Prior to her academic career in academia, Itziar had 8 years management experience working in companies such as AccountAbility (a leading think tank in sustainability), PricewaterhouseCoopers and General Electric as strategy advisor and internal consultant in process improvement and sustainability.
Itziar's has consulted, given masterclasses and executive education for top management in major corporations in the US and Europe. She teaches Strategy, Corporate Social Responsibility, Digital Transitions and Qualitative Methods at undergraduate, MBA/ MSc, PhD and executive level. Itziar has received teaching awards at Master's and undergraduate program levels. In her teaching, she combines different innovative methods that include simulations, cases, readings, role plays, social media, project management and use her own case studies, working experience as sustainability expert, manager and certified as Master Black Belt in Six Sigma.
Itziar lectures regularly at leading business schools such as Copenhagen Business School in Denmark, IE, Spain and University Carlos III. Before joining Surrey, she held academic positions in management departments at Carlos III University in Spain and Copenhagen Business School. Itziar was awarded a PhD in Management Science and an Executive MBA from ESADE, a Master in International Economics from the College of Europe and a Master Degree on Development Economics from the University of Valencia.
Activists use shocking social media imagery to inspire action in the fight against plastic pollution
1. Strategies and sense making of Corporate Social Responsibilities, especially in digital transitions.
2. New frames, discourses and emotions in sustainability.
3. Social entrepreneurship identity and legitimacy.
4. Online harms and the dark side of digitalisation and Artificial Intelligence.
5. Qualitative approaches to collecting and analysing online data.
RESEACH COUNCIL OF NORWAY (#299178) (904.000 GPB). Principal Researcher: Christian Fieseler. Duration: 2020-24.
Selected for the Google Launchpad Accelerator Program
COMUNIDAD DE MADRID EARLYFIN-CM (S2015/HUM-3353) (193.200 EUR) Duration: 2016-2019, Principal Researcher: Josep A. Tribo
Postgraduate research supervision
Qualitative Methodology I and II, PhD program.
Entrepreneurship and the Digital Economy.
Barberá-Tomás, D., Castelló, I. & De Bakker, F., C. Zietsma. (2019) Energizing through Visuals: How Social Entrepreneurs Use Emotion-symbolic Work for Social Change. Academy of Management Journal (accepted). OMT Division Best Paper on Entrepreneurship Award, AOM 2015. https://journals.aom.org/doi/abs/10.5465/amj.2017.1488
Winker, P., Etter, M., Castello, I. (2019) Vicious and Virtuous Circles of Aspirational Talk: From Self-Persuasive to Agonistic CSR Rhetoric. Business and Society (online first). EUPRERA Best Paper Award, 2016. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0007650319825758
Castelló, I., Etter, M., & Aarup-Nielsen, F. (2016). Strategies of Legitimacy through Social Media: The Networked Strategy. Journal of Management Studies, 53(3) 402-432. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/joms.12145
Published articles peer reviewed
- Barberá-Tomás, D., Castelló, I. & De Bakker, F., C. Zietsma. (2019) Energizing through Visuals: How Social Entrepreneurs Use Emotion-symbolic Work for Social Change. Academy of Management Journal (accepted). OMT Division Best Paper on Entrepreneurship Award, AOM 2015.
- Winker, P., Etter, M., Castello, I. (2019) Vicious and Virtuous Circles of Aspirational Talk: From Self-Persuasive to Agonistic CSR Rhetoric. Business and Society (online first). EUPRERA Best Paper Award, 2016.
- Castelló, I., Etter, M., & Aarup-Nielsen, F. (2016). Strategies of Legitimacy through Social Media: The Networked Strategy. Journal of Management Studies, 53(3) 402-432.
- Castelló, I. & Galang, R. (2014). Looking for New Forms of Legitimacy in Asia. Business & Society, 53(2) 187 -225. Best Paper Proceedings of the 2010 Academy of Management Annual Conference.
- Castelló, I., Morsing, M. & Schultz, F. (2013). Communicative Dynamics and the Polyphony of Corporate Social Responsibility in the Network Society. Journal of Business Ethics, 118(4) 683-94.
- Schultz, F., Castelló, I. & Morsing, M. (2013), The Communicative Construction of CSR: A Mediation Perspective. Journal of Business Ethics, 115(4) 681-692.
- Arevalo, J., Castelló, I., DeColle, S., Lenssen, G. Neumann, K. & Zollo, M. (2011), Introduction to Special Issue: Integrating Sustainability in Business Models. Journal of Management Development, 30 (10) 941-954.
- Castelló, I. & Lozano, J. (2011), Searching for New Forms of Legitimacy through Corporate Responsibility Rhetoric. Journal of Business Ethics, 100(1) 11-29.
- Barberá, D, Jiménez-Sáez, F. & Castelló, I. (2011), Mapping the importance of the real world: the validity of connectivity analysis of patent citations. Research Policy, 40, 473-486. This work was selected by the Faculty of 1000 (F1000) as one of the top 2% world papers published in Medicine and Biology during April 2011.
- Castelló, I. & Lozano, J. (2009), From Risk Management to Citizenship Corporate Social Responsibility: Analysis of Strategic Drivers of Change. Corporate Governance. The International Journal of Business in Society, 9 (4) 374-385.
Other published articles in reviews, books and book chapters
- Castelló, I. (2017), Visionary but concrete plans. Harvard Deusto Business Review (n. 271).
- Castelló, I. (2016) Engagement in the digital world: a sustainability challenge. Harvard-Deusto Business Review, October 1st 2016.
- Barberá, D., Castelló, I. (2016) “Los movimientos sociales y el uso de recursos visuales en las redes sociales: un caso de estudio”. En “La cultura de lo común. Prácticas colectivas del siglo XXI”, pp.107-116 Editado por Wenceslao García Puchades y Mijo Miquel. Editorial Universidad Politécnica de Valencia.
- Castelló, I., & Barbera-Tomas, D. (2015), Why some Political Opportunities Succeed and others Fail?: Bridging Organizational Levels in the Case of Spanish Occupy. In J. Uldam, & A. Vestergaard (Eds.), Civic Engagement and Social Media: Political Participation Beyond the Protest Hampshire, UK: Palgrave Macmillan. Book chapter.
- Morsing, M. & Castelló, I. (2011), In Sync with Twitter - Corporate Involvement in Social Media, Ledelseidag.dk, 2, February 2011. Press article.
- Castelló, I. (2010), CSR Como Punto de Encuentro del Lenguaje: el Reto del Español, in Gómez de Enterría, J. & Rodriguez del Bosque, I. (Eds.) El Español Lengua de Comunicación en las Organizaciones Empresariales. Thomson Reuters. Book chapter.
- Castelló, (2010), Corporate Social Responsibility, Bostezo, 4. Journal article.
- Castelló, I. & Lozano, J.M. (2009), From Risk Management to Corporate Citizenship: The Evolution of CRS. Isocial, Institute for Social Innovation, Esade, Ramon Llull University. Journal article.
- Castelló. I. (2009), Hospes Hotels and Moments, in Murillo, D., & Sureda, M., Sector Guides for SME: The Tourism Sector. Institute of Social Innovation. Book chapter.
- Castelló. I. (2009), Casa Camper, in Murillo, D., & Sureda, M., Sector Guides for SME: The Tourism Sector. Institute of Social Innovation. Book chapter.
- Castelló, I. (2008), Sustainable Consumption in the Mediterranean Institutions. United Nations CP/RAC Annual Technical Publication, March 2008. Journal article.
- Oyarbide, M.A., González, L., González, J.C., Castelló, I., Jiménez, M. (2008), Corporate Responsibility and Commercial Television: a First Industry Approach. Ed. Cátedra de Responsabilidad Social Corporativa, Universidad de Alcalá, Telecinco, Responsables Consulting. Book.
- Castelló, I. (2008), Mapro Case Study, in Murillo, D., & Sureda, M., Sector Guides for SME: The Automotive Sector between Competitiveness and Responsibility. Institute of Social Innovation. Book chapter.
- Castelló, I. (2008), Guilera Case Study, in Murillo, D., & Sureda, M., Sector Guides for SME: The Automotive Sector between Competitiveness and Responsibility. Institute of Social Innovation. Book chapter.
- Lozano, J. & Castelló, I. (2007), The Rhetoric of Power: CSR to Debate, 2007 Annual Compilation Book. Corporate Communication and the Management of Intangibles in Spain and Latin America. Prentice Hall Eds. Book chapter.
- Castelló, I. (2007), Productos Tarragó, in Murillo, D., & Dinarès, M., Fifteen Cases of CSR in SME. Institute of Social Innovation. Book chapter.
- Zadek, S. & Castelló, I. (2005), The Future of Accountability, a Business Perspective, Sustainability Yearly Book of CEMEX, Monterrey, México. Book chapter.
Published articles in press: Hufftington Post (2016), Silicon Valley Business Journal (August 2013), Revista Bostezo (April 2010, 2014), Tribuna de Automoción (2º semester 2004), Expansión (15/12/2003), Revista de Sernauto (December 2003), Emprendedores (Octubre 2003), Revista l'Altraveu (September 2003).