Dr Novie Johan
Novie is a Lecturer in Organisational Behaviour. She obtained her education degrees from Switzerland, UK and Canada, developed courses and worked on several academic, governmental and consultancy research projects with the University of Guelph and Ryerson University, before she joined the University of Surrey for research and teaching.
She is also an Adjunct Lecturer in research capacity at the Griffith University, Australia. She has trained and worked for several tourism and hospitality companies of various sizes in Asia, Europe and North America, including KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons and Park Hyatt. Previously she also had involvement with a few non-profit organisations in Canada with focus on the development of young people, through training, mentoring and counselling.
- Career Management and Development
- Education, and Personal and Professional Development
- Gap Year Travel
- Cross-Cultural Analysis
- Travel, Tourism and Hospitality Experiences
My current research projects are in collaborations with colleagues in Australasia, North America and UK.
This semester's teaching includes the following modules for School of Hospitality and Tourism Management (SHTM) and Surrey Business School (SBS) Students:
- Managing Organization and Human Resources
- Consumer Behavior
- MSc Dissertation Supervision
- External Examiner
- Outreach & Widening Participation
- Personal Tutees Mentoring
- Professional Trainees Coaching
- Editorial Board for the International Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Administration (IJHTA)
- Ad Hoc Reviewer for Human Resource Development Quarterly (HRDQ) and Tourism and Hospitality Research (THR)
- Adjunct Lecturer (Assistant Professor - Research) at the Griffith University, Australia, researching Gap Year Travel (GYT) from cultural and sociological perspectives
- The SCEPTrE Fellowship focusing on Immersive Cultural Experience of the Young People involving research, workshops and certifications
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA) from the Higher Education Academy, received Teaching and Learning Certification from University of Surrey
Selected Refereed Journal Articles
Rienties, B., Johan, N. and Jindal-Snape, D. (2015). 'Bridge Builders and Isolated Students: A Mixed Method Longitudinal Study of International and Host Students.' Asian Pacific Education Review, 16(1), 37-48, DOI:10.1007/s12564-014-9352-7.
Rienties, B., and Johan, N. (2014). 'Getting the Balance Right in Intercultural Groups: A Dynamic Social Network Perspective'. Social Networking, 3, 173-185. DOI:10.4236/sn.2014.33022.
Rienties, B., Johan, N. and Jindal-Snape, D. (2014) 'A Dynamic Analysis of Social Capital Building of International and UK Students.' British Journal of Sociology of Education. DOI:10.1080/01425692.2014.886941.
Selected Book Chapters
Johan, N. and Rienties, B. (2015). 'Cultivating learning and social interaction in an international classroom through small group work; a quasi-experimental study'. In Jindal-Snape, D. and Rienties, B., Multi-Dimensional Transitions of International Students to Higher Education. London: Routledge.
Johan, N. (2009). 'Gap Year Travel: Youth Transition or Youth Transformation?' In Brooks, R. (ed.) Transitions from Education to Work: New Perspectives from Europe and Beyond. London: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 136-149.
Barrows, C. and Johan, N. (2008). 'Hospitality Management Education'. In Brotherton, B. and Wood, R. (eds) The Handbook of Hospitality Management. London: Sage, pp. 146-162.
Selected Conference Presentations and Paper Proceedings
Johan, N. (2012). Experiential Learning Theory (ELT) Perspective: The Case of Gap Year Travel Research. Lausanne, Switzerland: EuroCHRIE Conference.
Johan, N. (2010). Self-Development in Gap Year Travel (GYT). Guildford, U.K.: British Sociology Association (BSA) Youth Conference.
Johan, N. and Jackson, N. (2010). Real World Education through Co-and Extra-curricular Academies. Cultural Academy: Understanding Cultural Transition. Guildford, U.K.: SCEPTrE Symposium.
Jackson, N. and Johan, N. (2010). Preparing Students for the Professional World: Ideas and Practices Sharing Conference. Work and Employability. Guildford, U.K.: SCEPTrE Symposium.
Johan, N., Tribe, J., and Sadler-Smith, E. (2008) Gap Year Travel: In the Gappers' Own Words. Shimla, India: ATLAS Conference.
Johan, N., Tribe, J., and Sadler-Smith, E. (2008) Mobilities, Transitions and Transformations: the role of Gap Year Travel (GYT). Harrogate, U.K.: BAM Conference.