I joined the University of Surrey as Lecturer in Spanish in 2018, having previously held posts at Queen's University Belfast and the University of St Andrews, where I completed my PhD in 2016. I am currently OWRI Visiting Fellow at the Institute of Modern Languages Research, School of Advanced Study, University of London, on the project 'Cross-Language Dynamics: Reshaping Community' https://crosslanguagedynamics.blogs.sas.ac.uk/. In October 2017, I was Visiting Lecturer at the Universidade de Santiago de Compostela.
My research interests lie primarily in the field of contemporary Spanish and Galician literary and cultural studies, with a particular focus on translingual immigrant cultural production and writing by women. I also have a keen interest in Comparative Literature. I recently co-edited a special issue for the Journal of Romance Studies entitled 'Galician Mobilities in Text and Screen', having co-organised an international conference in Galician migration studies at the University of St Andrews in 2017. My forthcoming monograph Contemporary Galician Women Writers http://www.mhra.org.uk/publications/Contemporary-Galician-Women-Writers will be published by Legenda in 2019.
University roles and responsibilities
- Spanish Placement Tutor (Study Abroad, British Council Assistantships and placements in Latin America)
- PTY Visiting Tutor
Affiliations and memberships
- Contemporary Iberian Studies
- Galician Studies
- Gender Studies
- Migration Studies
- Minority Cultures
- Comparative Literature
- OWRI Visiting Fellow on Translingualism Strand 'Cross-Language Dynamics: Reshaping Community' https://crosslanguagedynamics.blogs.sas.ac.uk/ Institute of Modern Languages Research, School of Advanced Study, University of London
- Conference paper with Nina Rolland, University of Birmingham: ‘Silenced and Subjected? Masculine Identities and Ideological Manipulation in Contemporary European Narratives’, Corps masculins: représentations littéraires et iconographiques de la nation, Université de Nantes, France, 19-20 April 2018.
Indicators of esteem
Executive committee of the MLA Galician Forum (2020-2024).
- SPA2023 Contemporary Spain II
- SPA2024 Translation English-Spanish II
- SPA2027 Spanish Language III for Research Purposes
- SPA3017 Spanish Dissertation
- SPA3020 Translation English-Spanish III
Courses I teach on
Postgraduate research supervision
I welcome inquiries from prospective students of Peninsular Spanish and Galician literary and cultural studies and Comparative Literature. Particular interests include writing by women, minority writing and migration.