I joined the University of Surrey as Lecturer in Spanish in 2018, having previously held posts at Queen's University Belfast and the University of St Andrews, where I completed my PhD in 2016. In 2018, I was OWRI Visiting Fellow at the Institute of Modern Languages Research, School of Advanced Study, University of London, on the AHRC Open World Research Initiative Translingual Strand 'Cross-Language Dynamics: Reshaping Community' https://crosslanguagedynamics.blogs.sas.ac.uk/. I was previously Visiting Lecturer at the Universidade de Santiago de Compostela.
My research interests lie primarily in the field of contemporary Spanish and Galician literary and cultural studies, with a focus on translingual migration literature and writing by women. I also have keen interests in Comparative Literature and translanguaging pedagogy. I recently co-edited a special issue for the Journal of Romance Studies entitled 'Galician Mobilities in Text and Screen' (publication December 2020), having co-organised an international conference in Galician migration studies at the University of St Andrews in 2017. My forthcoming monograph Contemporary Galician Women Writers http://www.mhra.org.uk/publications/Contemporary-Galician-Women-Writers will be published by Legenda in 2020.
University roles and responsibilities
- Spanish Placement Tutor
- PTY Visiting Tutor
Affiliations and memberships
- Contemporary Iberian Studies
- Galician Studies
- Gender Studies
- Migration Studies
- Minority Cultures
- Translingual Writing
- Translanguaging Pedagogy
- Comparative Literature
- Conference paper with Nina Rolland, University of Birmingham: ‘Silenced and Subjected? Masculine Identities and Ideological Manipulation in Contemporary European Narratives’, Corps masculins: représentations littéraires et iconographiques de la nation, Université de Nantes, France, 19-20 April 2018.
Indicators of esteem
Postgraduate research supervision
I welcome inquiries from prospective students of Peninsular Spanish and Galician literary and cultural studies and Comparative Literature. Particular interests include writing by women, minority writing and migration.
Awarded University of Surrey Vice Chancellor's Award for Early Career Teacher of the Year 2019
- SPA2023 Contemporary Spain II
- SPA2027 Spanish Language III for Research Purposes
- SPA3017 Spanish Dissertation
- SPA3020 Translation English-Spanish III
- TRA3028 Translation Spanish-English III