Dr Nikolaos Dikaios
Nikolaos Dikaios joined Surrey in 2016, prior to his appointment at Surrey he was a Research Associate in the Medical Physics department at University College London. Dr Dikaios received his PhD (2011) in Medical Physics from the University of Cambridge, Wolfson Brain Imaging Centre. Before his PhD he obtained a degree in Physics (concentration in Nuclear and Particle physics) from the University of Athens in 2004, and in 2007 he completed a Postgraduate program on Biomedical Technology at the Dpt of Electrical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, Greece. During the postgraduate program he was also employed on secondment to the UK as a physicist at Hammersmith Imanet Ltd part of GE Healthcare Biosciences.
He has published 26 peer-reviewed papers, 23 of which have a top-quartile impact factor (THOMSON REUTER Citation Reports) in their respective fields. His work in Prostate Cancer detection using multi-parametric MRI has been awarded twice with the Summa Cum Laude (top 5%) and once with Magna Cum Laude (top 15%) from the flagship conference in MRI (ISMRM) with more than 6000 attendees every year. He is also one of the developers of a popular open-source software for tomographic image reconstruction, STIR. STIR has been awarded the Rotblat Medal for the most cited research paper published by Physics in Medicine & Biology out of more than 3,000 articles since 2012.
Dr Dikaios was recently awarded the First Grant of the UK's Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council to work on novel image reconstruction techniques with application to proton radiotherapy for optimisation of cancer treatment.
Areas of specialism
Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Spectroscopy;
MR guided x-ray Radiotherapy (MR-Linac);
Proton Computed Tomography;
Proton Beam Therapy;
Positron Emission Tomography;
Image Reconstruction from highly undersampled data;
Monte Carlo simulations
2016-present EEE1033, Computer and Digital Logic, Dpt of Electrical Engineering, University of Surrey, UK
2016-present EEE2037 2nd year Electronics labs, Dpt of Electrical Engineering, University of Surrey, UK
2016-present EEE1031 Mathematics, Dpt of Electrical Engineering, University of Surrey, UK
Postgraduate research supervision
Research Associate-ongoing Dimitrios Lazos (main supervisor), Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Surrey
PhD-ongoing Margarita Panagiotidou (main supervisor), Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Surrey
PhD-ongoing Aaron Axford (co-supervisor), Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Surrey
PhD-ongoing Eva Tzabazidou (co-supervisor), Department of Physics National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece
Internship-completed Anne-Laure Taffin (main supervisor), Polytech’Grenoble engineering school, Grenoble Alpes University, France
- Dikaios N, Giganti F, Sidhu HS, Johnston EW, Appayya MB, Simmons L, Freeman A, Ahmed HU, Atkinson D, Punwani S.Multi-parametric MRI zone-specific diagnostic model performance compared with experienced radiologists for detection of prostate cancer. Eur. Radiol. (in press).
- Brizmohun AM, Sidhu HS, Dikaios N, Johnston EW, Simmons LA, Freeman A, Kirkham AP, Ahmed HU, Punwani S. Characterizing indeterminate (Likert-score 3/5) peripheral zone prostate lesions with PSA density, PI-RADS scoring and qualitative descriptors on multiparametric MRI. Br J Radiol. 2018; 91(1083).
- Aldaqadossi HA, Khairy H, Kotb Y, Hussein HA, Shaker H, Dikaios N. Prediction of pediatric PCNL outcomes using contemporary scoring systems. J Urol. 2017; 198(5):1146-1152.
- Dikaios N, Atkinson D, Tudisca C, Purpura P, Forster M, Ahmed H, Beale T, Emberton M, Punwani S. A comparison of Bayesian and non-linear regression methods for robust estimation of pharmacokinetics in DCE-MRI and how it affects cancer diagnosis. Comput Med Imaging Graph. 2017; 56:1-10.
- Latifoltojar A, Hall-Craggs M, Rabin N, Popat R, Bainbridge A, Dikaios N, … , Yong K. Magnetic Resonance Imaging in newly diagnosed multiple myeloma: Early changes in lesional signal fat fraction predict disease response. British Journal of Haematology 2017; 176(2):222-233.
- Latifoltojar A, Hall-Craggs M, Bainbridge A, Yong K, Dikaios N, … , Punwani S. Whole-body MRI quantitative biomarkers predict response in patients with newly diagnosed symptomatic multiple myeloma following Bortezomib induction. Eur. Radiol. 2017; 27(12): 5325-5336.
- Sidhu HS, Benigno S, Ganeshan B, Dikaios N, … , Punwani S. Textural analysis of multiparametric MRI detects transition zone prostate cancer. Eur. Radiol. 2017; 27(6): 2348-2358.
- Bhatnagar G, Dikaios N, Prezzi D,…, Taylor SA. Changes in Dynamic Contrast Enhanced pharmacokinetic and Diffusion Weighted Imaging parameters reflect response to anti-TNF therapy in Crohn's Disease. Br J Radiol 2015; 88(1055): 2015-47.
- Latifoltojar A, Dikaios N, Ridout A,…, Punwani S. Evolution of multi-parametric MRI quantitative parameters following transrectal ultrasound-guided biopsy of the prostate. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2015; 18(4): 343-51.
- N Dikaios, J Alkalbani, M Abd-Alazeez,…, S Punwani: Zone-specific logistic regression models improve classification of prostate cancer on multi-parametric MRI. Eur. Radiol. 2015; 25(9):2727-37.
- M Abd-Alazeez, N Ramachandran, N Dikaios,…, S Punwani: Multiparametric MRI for detection of radiorecurrent prostate cancer: added value of apparent diffusion coefficient maps and dynamic contrast-enhanced images. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2015; 18(2):128-36.
- Abd-Alazeez M, Ahmed HU, Arya M, Allen C, Dikaios N, Freeman A, Emberton M, Kirkham A. Can multiparametric magnetic resonance imaging predict upgrading of transrectal ultrasound biopsy results at more definitive histology? Urol Oncol. 2014; 32(6): 741-7.
- E Panagiotaki, RW Chan, N Dikaios, HU Ahmed, J O'Callaghan, A Freeman, D Atkinson, S Punwani, DJ Hawkes, DC Alexander: Microstructural Characterization of Normal and Malignant Human Prostate Tissue With Vascular, Extracellular, and Restricted Diffusion for Cytometry in Tumours Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Invest Radiol. 2015; 50(4): 218-27.
- N Dikaios, Simon Arridge, V Hamy, S Punwani, D Atkinson: Direct parametric reconstruction from undersampled (k, t)-space data in dynamic contrast enhanced MRI. Med Image Anal. 2014; 18(7): 989-1001.
- N Dikaios, J Alkalbani, HS Sidhu,…, S Punwani: Logistic regression model for diagnosis of transition zone prostate cancer on multi-parametric MRI. Eur Radiol. 2015; 25(2):523-32.
- B Trémoulhéac, N Dikaios, D Atkinson, S Arridge: Dynamic MR image reconstruction-separation from under-sampled (k-t)-space via low-rank plus sparse prior IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2014; 33(8):1689-701.
- V Hamy, N Dikaios, S Punwani,…, D Atkinson: Respiratory motion correction in dynamic MRI using robust data decomposition registration - Application to DCE-MRI. Med Image Anal. 2013; 18(2):301-313.
- N Dikaios, S Punwani, V Hamy,…, D Atkinson: Noise estimation from averaged diffusion weighted images: Can unbiased quantitative decay parameters assist cancer evaluation? Magn Reson Med. 2013; 71(6):2105-17.
- JC Makanyanga, D Pendsé, N Dikaios,… , SA Taylor: Evaluation of Crohn's disease activity: Initial validation of a magnetic resonance enterography global score (MEGS) against faecal calprotectin. Eur Radiol. 2013; 24(2):277-87.
- N Dikaios, TD Fryer: Registration-weighted motion correction for PET. Med Phys. 2012; 39(3):1253-64.
- K Thielemans, C Tsoumpas, S Mustafovic, T Beisel, P Aguiar, N Dikaios, MW Jacobson: STIR: software for tomographic image reconstruction release 2. Phys Med Biol. 2012; 57(4):867-83.
- N Dikaios, D Izquierdo-Garcia, MJ Graves, V Mani, ZA Fayad, TD Fryer: MRI-based motion correction of thoracic PET: initial comparison of acquisition protocols and correction strategies suitable for simultaneous PET/MRI systems. Eur Radiol. 2011; 22(2):439-46.
- N Dikaios, TD Fryer: Improved motion-compensated image reconstruction for PET using sensitivity correction per respiratory gate and an approximate tube-of-response backprojector. Med Phys. 2011; 38(9):4958-70.
- N Dikaios, TD Fryer: Acceleration of motion-compensated PET reconstruction: ordered subsets-gates EM algorithms and a priori reference gate information. Phys Med Biol. 2011; 56(6):1695-715.
- N Dikaios, K Dinelle, T Spinks, K Nikita, K Thielemans: Processing of transmission data from an uncollimated single photon source. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A 2006; 569(2):416-420.
- N Karakatsanis, N Sakellios, NX Tsantilas, N Dikaios,… , K Nikita: Comparative evaluation of two commercial PET scanners, ECAT EXACT HR+ and Biograph 2, using GATE. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A 2006; 569:368-372.